C64 joystick on XBOX!

Chat about emulation and retro in general
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

C64 joystick on XBOX!

Post by dabbler »

My next little project will be interfacing a C64 joystick to my xbox! Just wondering if any one has done this yet?

My ideas - Make a 9pin dsub to USB adapter (the xbox controllers are really usb with a custom connector) I think this will work fine, but ill have to work somthing out for the extra buttons - maybe just have the c64 joystick as the secondary controller and use the real xbox controller for starting games etc..... im not sure yet, any thoughts?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, there is this.

(Man, I'd love to be able to use a Comp Pro with ViceX and UAEX.)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yes!! DO this project! I've had my eye on the USB Competition Pro's for a while but can't seem to find a website that'll ship them to Ireland (at least at a semi normal P&P cost) but it would be far better to be able to use my original joysticks with the xbox.

There was a guy on here last year who took apart a cheap xbox controller and wired a c64 joystick up to it. The topic got lost in the hack though :(
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

If someone figures it out, then I wouldn't mind buying one from them (at a cheap price, of course!). :wink:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

CraigGrannell wrote:Well, there is this.

(Man, I'd love to be able to use a Comp Pro with ViceX and UAEX.)
Thats quite a good easy to do idea! Im going to pick up some parts today - does any one know if a PC USB joypad works with the XBOX - this is the real problem-DO cheapo USB PC gamepads work with UAEX VICEX etc? If so then all will be good.

BTW I have added proper USB ports to my XBOX which is why id like to go down the true USB port route.
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

Bad news - just borrowed a PC USB gamepad from a neighbour - its dosnt work in the XBOX, so hack a cheapo PC pad is out of the window. Damn :-( Guess it has some custom controller or somthing and is not 100% standard USB.

Edit: After studing a bit more, the xbox does accept any standard USB hardware, except the software has to support it. http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/usbx.html < a very interesting article, also if you look at the support docs for VICEX, it states xbox controller support and USB keyboard support - this would indicate that other USB interfaces are not supported.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, judging by that page I linked to, wiring a Comp Pro up to an Xbox controller is perhaps the way to go. I'm just gutted that the new USB Comp Pro isn't compatible with Xbox.
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

Yes looks like thats the only way to go which is a shame....
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

CraigGrannell wrote: I'm just gutted that the new USB Comp Pro isn't compatible with Xbox.
Say what now? With a USB to xBox adaptor, it just doesn't work?

I assume it's a driver issue and if the Vice team wrote the code to read from the joystick, it should work?
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

Iain,

Thats correct, support must be coded into the emulator for the USB joysticks to work, looks like the only option is hacking a xbox controller - im on the look out for cheap ones, dont wanna hack my nice logitech wireless controllers!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well poke those Vice geeks with a long sharp stick! ;-)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

As far as I'm aware, one bloke (that Xport dude) was responsible for most of the decent Xbox emulators, and he's not doing a great deal of updates these days.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Just noticed these on ebay, ordered one myself to try on my new pc (dabblers will be on my older pc) so I can now use my old Zipstick with the speccy/64,vic,mame emulators on the pc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
Even has 2 ports so will allow decent 2 player games of matchday, Pitstop 2 and is analogue compatible for Atari paddles,trackballs etc! :P wonder if this might be helpful for interfacing with the xbox?
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Very cool! Thanx.
When I'm back from vacation I'll order one directly!
At last, two player matches of Bounces and Rocketball at my PC in the living room, and....Decathlon! Njjgrrr! :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
dabbler
Techno Teaboy

Post by dabbler »

Mort wrote:Just noticed these on ebay, ordered one myself to try on my new pc (dabblers will be on my older pc) so I can now use my old Zipstick with the speccy/64,vic,mame emulators on the pc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
Even has 2 ports so will allow decent 2 player games of matchday, Pitstop 2 and is analogue compatible for Atari paddles,trackballs etc! :P wonder if this might be helpful for interfacing with the xbox?
That looks pretty cool, note though that its 15pin (i.e. old pc gameport joysticks) to USB, not good old 9pin 2600 style.