Discussion of the Zzap special by Mr. ZzapBack

Moderator: Lloyd Mangram

Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

The extended DEF Tribute to Zzap!64

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi folks,
just an advance warning: :wink:
the coming issues of Retro Gamer (maybe not RG19, but RG20 at least) will contain at least 10 pages of Zzap! stuff, including the missing Leaderboard & Pirates! reviews. Also an interview with me, why & how I set the whole thing up. :oops:

I haven't talked about the PDF release date with RG, personally I think that it will be around 1 September.

Another thing: if you see a mention of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 in a magazine (I hope Edge picks it up *somehow*?) or over at another forum, please notify us here, or upload a scan, or post a linky to relevant threads over here. Thanks a lot! :)

Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I'm guessing they were impressed with the tribute then? :)

I think I did a Leaderboard comment but it's that long ago...my brain is like a sieve! :? In fact, I'm sure I also did Pirates! too? :?

Anyway I'll look forward to more ZZAP! goodness in RG :wink:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Wow, it's like the DVD edition! :D

Good stuff, and I should be back in England in time to pick up that issue. I bet Retro Gamer wishes they could get their hands on stuff like this for every issue. :wink:
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Lee you're in the Leaderboard review (together with Andrew & Mat -and Gordon & Paul btw -hehe) , Paul is in the Pirates! (together with Mat & Ant) review.
Didn't ask permission, but I thought nobody would mind being in RG with mugshot and all. :wink:
Btw, I was paid 'in natura' so, unfortunately, there's nothing to 'share'. 8)
Looking forward to see it in RG. :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Hey, this is great news! Congrats again, Rob. I think RG got a mighty bargain when you offered them your "baby".

Of course, I condone anything that gets my mug in the popular press. Yes, I am that shallow.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Mr.Zzapback wrote: Btw, I was paid 'in natura' so,
Huh? What does that mean? They paid you while you were naked or something? Or they paid you by allowing you to look at the editor naked or what?! You strange Dutch person! ;-) Next time get some money out of the capitalist pigs! ;-)
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

There is a mention of the 'Def Tribute' over at the TV Ark forums:

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/?

(Its under 'General Discussions')
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Iain wrote:Huh? What does that mean?
It means they didn't pay with money, but with other stuff, barter fashion stylee.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

CraigGrannell wrote: It means they didn't pay with money, but with other stuff, barter fashion stylee.
Sounds more boring than my theory, but somewhat more useful / pleasant! :)
Fab
Freelancer

Post by Fab »

CraigGrannell wrote:
Iain wrote:Huh? What does that mean?
It means they didn't pay with money, but with other stuff, barter fashion stylee.
Here, we often use "in natura" as a joke, implying that "some other stuff" can be sex.

But I'm not implying that Rob was paid "in natura" in the sense mentioned above :)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Considering what's happening at Live Publishing, I hope Rob got his money's worth... :roll:
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Considering what's happening at Live Publishing, I hope Rob got his money's worth... :roll:
Yes I wonder how this holds for the 'extended' Tribute features that Rob mentioned earlier in the thread.

Apparently RG is the best-selling Live title, though considering most of their stable consists of techy PC titles (that all seem to be the same mag) then it's no wonder..
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Huh? What's happening at Live Publishing? Have they gone into receivership or something? At least I got my Def Trib from them.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Iain wrote:Huh? What's happening at Live Publishing? Have they gone into receivership or something? At least I got my Def Trib from them.
In this thread they announced that it is going back to being bi-monthly.

There will be a press story in Friday's edition of MCV to say that they are 'financially restructering' the company. Apparently PC Extreme has been closed and six staff were shown the door (according to reports on other forums). RG is being kept open due to being successful and there are plans for Martyn and Aaron to do a lot more of the writing themselves to save on contributors payments.

Several contributors have not been paid for their work in RG. I suspect that if the situation gets any worse then Live will attempt to offload RG to generate some cash.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

LeeT wrote:there are plans for Martyn and Aaron to do a lot more of the writing themselves to save on contributors payments.
Always a bad sign when the in-house staff are doing most or all of the work, sadly. If this does come to pass, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see more generic and fewer in-depth pieces in the mag.
LeeT wrote:Several contributors have not been paid for their work in RG.
Uh, you are kidding, right?