joystick with 30 games

Chat about all the old and new games
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Interesting, so nobody bought their back/current catalog?

Would the copyright revert back to the programmers etc. or is it a free for all now? :)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

In Epyx's case, the copyrights remained with the liquidators, who made the deal with Ironstone/Tulip. I don't know about Hewson, but I imagine it was similar.

In any case, unless the author/publisher has given explicit instructions that a game is freeware it can't be copied. Copyright lasts 50/75 years depending on the country, and it can be renewed.
dgourlis
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by dgourlis »

I received the joystick yesterday. It is a fine idea, excellently executed, but the games collection is not what should have been included.... Just a few of them were favorites of mine.

DO you know if there any plans of releasing more versions of this tvconsole?
Plato said, Beware the wrath of the patient man
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

True, the games were a bit too old skool for me. I guess it depends on how well it sold as to whether they're be a nice version but the fact that some shops for selling it off very cheaply after Christmas, might mean that sales of it weren't all that great :(
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

More likely that, like every other TV game out there, this one simply had a limited shelf-life.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Paradroid on the move suits me fine!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

I'm looking forward to getting a GP2X and putting a C64 emulator on it. Now that's "on the move"! ;-)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Iain wrote:True, the games were a bit too old skool for me. I guess it depends on how well it sold as to whether they're be a nice version but the fact that some shops for selling it off very cheaply after Christmas, might mean that sales of it weren't all that great :(
Actually, it was cheap-skate shops buying in the NTSC version and flogging it cheap...

As far as I know there are no current plans for a new/improved DTV.

The ideal thing would be one with a port to hold a memory card/Flash card so you could add more games to it.
dgourlis
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by dgourlis »

Professor Brian Strain wrote: As far as I know there are no current plans for a new/improved DTV.

The ideal thing would be one with a port to hold a memory card/Flash card so you could add more games to it.
That's a very nice idea. I believe it would be easily implemented and would certainly draw more buyers. Maybe including a "flash save" feature as well? Its strange really, since a lot of companies have released their games on the internet for free, ie Cinemaware, why they didnt include them in the stick.

I believe that multi load games are especially well suited for this type of hardware.
Plato said, Beware the wrath of the patient man
Famous Mortimer
Techno Teaboy

Post by Famous Mortimer »

There's a bunch of modding sites where you can solder keyboards, tape decks, all sorts to it. Basically make a C64 out of it :)

They're on super-sale at Argos, now a fiver, but you have to know where they are as not every shop still stocks them.
"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx
Fab
Freelancer

Post by Fab »

Famous Mortimer wrote:you can solder [...] tape decks
Tape decks? Really? I thought there wasn't a connector on the DTV motherboard for that... If there is a site about that, please give links!
Famous Mortimer
Techno Teaboy

Post by Famous Mortimer »

It's a link from the wikipedia page- thinking about it, I might have been telling porkies about tape decks, but you can definitely do keyboards and joysticks.
"The rich will do everything for the poor except get off their backs" - Karl Marx