games that shouldnt of been made

Chat about all the old and new games
brian_dead
Freelancer

games that shouldnt of been made

Post by brian_dead »

some games just couldnt be converted to the 64 because of technical limitations, so why did they bother converting hard drivin?

are there any more you can think of?

i never played the c64 lemmings, i couldnt get the disk image to work :cry: but imagine it wasnt much fun playing with a joystick.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Space Harrier - Whilst the game itself is merely average, the whole thrill of the arcade game was the use of the hydraulics.
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

G-Loc - Mediocre game that relied on its 360° cabinet for thrills, a complete bore on the C64. US Gold phoned me up and complained when I slated it in the mag too - bloody cheek!

From what I can remember of Lemmings, it was pretty good on the C64.
mikem
Techno Teaboy

outrun

Post by mikem »

superb arcade game,pretty crap conversion.poor graphics,excellent music ,no sense of speed ,and even worse it seemed like you were going backwards at times.i have this games on tape,completed the first stage then quit.dusted off my mega drive and played that consersion. :D
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

G-Loc, Stun Runner and Line of Fire.

There was NO WAY they could have been done, should have left well alone
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
synchro
Techno Teaboy

Post by synchro »

What games shouldnt have been made ?????

Any Spectrum games :)
Should have "ALL" been well left alone j/k
brian_dead
Freelancer

Post by brian_dead »

synchro wrote:What games shouldnt have been made ?????

Any Spectrum games :)
Should have "ALL" been well left alone j/k
yeah all that nasty monochrome :o
brian_dead
Freelancer

Post by brian_dead »

come to think of it there were some games that could of been done alot better but the software houses fobbed us off with spectrum portovers
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

hard drivin' just sprang to mind then, it looks so bad and shoddy i haven't even bothered to check it out on an emulator as yet, it definetely looks like another one that shouldn't of been made...if we wanted monochrome graphics and sound we would've bought a speccy from which it was an obvious port over from...what was domark expecting from it...a gold medal with massive sales?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Out Run! :roll:

in fact most coin up conversions, except Bubble Bobble then.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

Anyone remember Final Blow? It was a boxing game where the fire button was used to punch, and the joystick determined the nature of the attack as well as right and left movement. The longest-range punch was the jab, which was achieved with 'up/fire'. A successful jab caused the unlucky fighter to slide back an inch or two.

Can you see the problem yet? Yup - if you held the joystick in the 'up' position and tapped the fire button when your foe was at the extreme end of your range, your blow lands and he slides backwards, his own blow hitting thin air. The CPU fighters could never get inside your jab, meaning you could win the heavyweight title on your first attempt by holding the joystick 'up' throughout and tapping fire occasionally.

Even in two-player mode it was a non-starter. Stand still with the joystick in the 'up' position and you couldn't lose - your foe would approach, you'd tap 'fire' as soon as he came into range and he'd slide backwards. It's impossible to jab and move at the same time, so just jab and let the other sucker move. He'll walk into your punch every time. As soon as both players sussed this (which was VERY soon) they'd just stand still and eyeball each other. The first one to get bored and move would be hit as his opponent had the jab ready, and as he then slid backwards, he'd be unable to follow it up with a punch of his own.

How much playtesting would it have taken to spot errors like these?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

They'd better called it First Blow ('s best) then. :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Wow, that's incrediably shit play testing! Or maybe they just didn't care... :(
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Baz wrote:hard drivin' just sprang to mind then, it looks so bad and shoddy i haven't even bothered to check it out on an emulator as yet, it definetely looks like another one that shouldn't of been made...if we wanted monochrome graphics and sound we would've bought a speccy from which it was an obvious port over from...what was domark expecting from it...a gold medal with massive sales?
Domark also did a lame Speccy port of Xybots
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Baz wrote:hard drivin' just sprang to mind then, it looks so bad and shoddy i haven't even bothered to check it out on an emulator as yet,
Actually, I think I tried it out a few years ago and once you set the emulation speed to 200% or 300%, it's quite playable! :-D