Live Publishing went into administration...shocker

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Live Publishing went into administration...shocker

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Posted 24 August 2005 12:39 PM
Hi All, This may be the last post I am allowed to make but this is news you should all know. Live publishing went into administration on Mon 22 August. I don't know if this post will stay of if I will be banned from here but I felt it was my duty as forum Mod to bring you the news when I recieved it. It is truely a sad day and my sympathies go out to all the staff at Live. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication.

Donna Forum Moderator
:shock:

I hope Retro Gamer gets bought by a more stable publisher. (umm, there's only one, I suppose...)

It's a shame really. :evil:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

For my extended DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 stuff I was 'paid' with a lifelong subscription to Retro Gamer.

Ouch, it lasted about umm, zero issues. :?

Sorry for everybody who lost jobs, money, subs etc.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Speaking as a fan of the magazine, I'm really sorry to see it go.

Speaking as a freelance contributor who is still owed money, I am VERY SAD to see Live go into administration.

/me changes nickname to Jonah
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I am gutted, not only because I have over 18 months of issues on the subscription to go but I loved the mag. Better get scanning he he, anyhow best wishes to all who worked on her and hope there is a buyer for the title :cry:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I hope it was not the printing costs of the Zzap tribute which broke the camels back as it were :oops:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Mort wrote:I hope it was not the printing costs of the Zzap tribute which broke the camels back as it were :oops:
Hehe, well who knows?
Retro Gamer was not the problem. It was doing fine with about 15.000 to 18.000 readers. As Wayne (the publisher) stated, it was a nice little moneymaker. It was the other titles that killed LP.
Since RG itself was healthy, I hope someone will pick up the title and continue it.

It's a shame they closed down the forum already, I couldn't even back up the DEF Tribute threads with all the positive comments etc. Shame.

Here's the news:
http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=451
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

That's sad news. I thought the magazine was just hitting its stride this year. IMO, there's still a clear market for a *£4.99* retro publication: there's a huge amount of material for features, reviews, interviews, and so on which would interest people of 20+ years.

I hope someone picks it up.
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Sad to see RG disappear from the shelves - I know there was a lot of internal troubles (staff writers leaving, contributors not being paid, people interfering with editorial) but it is disappointing to see the only proper monthly retro mag close.

I read on another forum that a 'successor' is due to be launched in November - More news when I investigate! :)
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
PeeknPoke
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by PeeknPoke »

Im gutted for everyone. Martyn the editor seemed like a nice bloke and always kept in contact with me regarding what was happening with PeeknPoke.

Only got an email from him only the other week, saying that PeeknPoke will be in the next issue. Sigh.

Well, it seemed like the next issue was ready to roll, so there is a magazine to be printed up if someone buys it quickly.

Lee
Visit Lee's PeeknPoke for classic gaming then cry into your beer.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I heard Issue 19 was ready to roll from some sources at the Cgeuk apart from no money to pay the printers so possibly it may be released, fingers crossed, Shame I upgraded my subsciption in July and am about 18 issues down so one more would be nice :shock:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Andyplc started a double thread (which I deleted, but I could not connect his post to this one, so I do it like this: (I'm a semi-mod :? )
andyplc wrote:In case you weren't aware of it...

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=451

Just like Imagine and all the rest, Live Publishing went kaput owing the workers money.

How very, very Retro of them

Andy
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Arse, this is sad news. Obviously, there were problems but I thought it'd be around for another few months anyway.

Let's just be REALLY thankfully that last month's issue with the Def Trib did come out.

Guess I'd better remove the banner ads about buying the Def Tribute from them now :( I hope everybody got theirs that ordered one.

Hard to believe the forums are gone already, has the plug been pulled on the whole website? (can of course check myself!)

[edit]
Well all the website is there apart from the forums, although you can see a recent thread was "goodbye everyone" with a reply from Smila!

It appears you can still order the Def Trib and subscribe, which is worrying as your money is probably falling straight into a black hole! :(
[/edit]
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Well, bugger.

I'm very thankful that the Zzap Tribute made it out and in a sad sort of way it makes it even more special.

So you'll be releasing all of the 'extra bits' to the general public then Rob? :wink:
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
smila
Freelancer

Post by smila »

same boat as a lot of yous , had about 18 months left on my sub . its a bugger indeed.

so whats this succesor people are going on about ?
got created the sid chip so hubbard could make music
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

The rumour I'm hearing is a new retro mag in November.

The ex-freelancers from Retro Gamer are also working on a project.