The Def Guide to Zzap!64

The Zzap Rrap

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:47 am 
Offline
Techno Teaboy

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:56 pm
Posts: 5
I guess this was inevitable when issue 19 didn't appear when it was supposed to. I actually thought issue 19 would be printed and then it would vanish without trace.

They always seemed very guarded as to how many issues were sold each month and 15,000 - 18,000 is about half the amount I guessed they sold.

As I always had difficulty finding the magazine my wife was going to take out a subscription for me last month, thankfully she never got around to it.

I actually think finding the magazine was one of the main reasons that sales were not higher. I was in London when the February issue came out and was amazed to find that two WH Smiths (including the one on Waterloo Station) didn't sell it.

Shame it has gone, it was the only magazine I actually purchased each month.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:16 pm 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Skegness, UK
Bear in mind that Live Publishing were a "small fish" in a very big, very deep pond. That made it harder for them to get the magazine on the shelves. Also, the print run was limited (I've never been told an exact figure) so there were less copies to go around than, say, Edge.

If you were a regular on the Live Publishing forum, check out

http://forum.retrosurvival.co.uk


There you'll find a familiar layout (all the same retro topic areas) and many of the ex-freelancers. You'll also hear about the NEW project, a farewell to Retro Gamer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:48 pm 
Offline
Techno Teaboy

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:01 am
Posts: 21
Sigh. Having been a member of one myself, it's always depressing reading about long-term secret alliances of unpaid freelancers...

_________________
Waiting patiently (vainly) for the Def Guide to CU Amiga...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:06 pm 
Offline
Techno Teaboy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:23 pm
Posts: 21
Location: burton on trent uk
It is a real shame that its disappeared. I have to say I am a bit disappointed now about Martyn's blatant subscription plea - clearly trying to save the mag but lots of people out of pocket now having recently taken out subscriptions.

The dedication of the people that brought this to the shelves should never be discounted and I do feel there's a real hole in the market - hopefully there might be some news in the near future. I'm also disappointed to those who are owed from Live


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:32 am 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Skegness, UK
jcompton wrote:
Sigh. Having been a member of one myself, it's always depressing reading about long-term secret alliances of unpaid freelancers...


Tell me about it. I started the "group" to get some communication between the freelancers. Eventually we plucked up the courage to e-mail the editor and give him suggestions on how to improve the mag. Then we had to start complaining about the lack of payment.

We sent the editor an ultimatum - "Pay us or else no articles". Shame he had already left the company. *sigh*


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:52 am 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:45 pm
Posts: 605
Location: UK
gordon wrote:
IMO, there's still a clear market for a *£4.99* retro publication: there's a huge amount of material for features, reviews, interviews, and so on which would interest people of 20+ years.

Personally, I'd try and get to the £3.99 price point—a kind of retro Edge, but with lower quality paper. Removing a covermount would also be a good idea (although this doesn't massively drop the overall costs, it does drop mailing and distribution fees, and it also pisses off WHS and co. less, because more mags can fit in a smaller amount of shelf space). To my mind, now would be the idea time for Highbury to spin off Retro as a standalone publication (rather than it being at the arse end of games™), but then that company's in its very own financial strife, so I'd be surprised (but happy) if that happened.

_________________
http://www.craiggrannell.com | http://www.projectnoise.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:30 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 460
Location: United Kingdom, Hartlepool
CraigGrannell wrote:
gordon wrote:
IMO, there's still a clear market for a *£4.99* retro publication: there's a huge amount of material for features, reviews, interviews, and so on which would interest people of 20+ years.

Personally, I'd try and get to the £3.99 price point—a kind of retro Edge, but with lower quality paper. Removing a covermount would also be a good idea (although this doesn't massively drop the overall costs, it does drop mailing and distribution fees, and it also pisses off WHS and co. less, because more mags can fit in a smaller amount of shelf space). To my mind, now would be the idea time for Highbury to spin off Retro as a standalone publication (rather than it being at the arse end of games™), but then that company's in its very own financial strife, so I'd be surprised (but happy) if that happened.


Darran has said elesewhere that Highbury aren't willing to create a retro mag - Pity as I'm sure it would be a winner, both in sales terms and quality.

Maybe Kelvin Mackenzie will sort it out, now he has bought into the company? :wink:

_________________
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:14 pm 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:45 pm
Posts: 605
Location: UK
LeeT wrote:
Darran has said elesewhere that Highbury aren't willing to create a retro mag - Pity as I'm sure it would be a winner, both in sales terms and quality.

I'm guessing that's more down to financial issues than anything—after all, the Retro special is still very much in-print, something like a year after it was originally released.

Quote:
Maybe Kelvin Mackenzie will sort it out, now he has bought into the company? :wink:

Apparently, I'm way out of the loop!

_________________
http://www.craiggrannell.com | http://www.projectnoise.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:28 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 460
Location: United Kingdom, Hartlepool
CraigGrannell wrote:
I'm guessing that's more down to financial issues than anything—after all, the Retro special is still very much in-print, something like a year after it was originally released.


I think the Retro special is still about possibly as it wasn't on Sale or Return and they flooded the shops with them (unless someone else knows different).
Quote:
Maybe Kelvin Mackenzie will sort it out, now he has bought into the company? :wink:

Quote:
Apparently, I'm way out of the loop!


Link

I would hate to work for the guy (his bollockings at The Sun were legendary) but if anyone can sort it out, he seems like the right person..

_________________
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:57 am 
Offline
King of Zzap Towers
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Skegness, UK
Just to keep people up to speed, there is a new retro mag on the way, masterminded by Shaun Bebbington (ex Live Publishing staff member)

For those who want to say "farewell" to RETRO GAMER, the RETRO SURVIVAL CD will feature content originally planned for issue 19 and never printed, plus exclusive new content and a competition to win some nice prizes.

_________________
http://c64goldenyears.com
http://blog.myspace.com/merman1974
http://members.lycos.co.uk/merman64

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:30 am 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 460
Location: United Kingdom, Hartlepool
Professor Brian Strain wrote:
Just to keep people up to speed, there is a new retro mag on the way, masterminded by Shaun Bebbington (ex Live Publishing staff member)

For those who want to say "farewell" to RETRO GAMER, the RETRO SURVIVAL CD will feature content originally planned for issue 19 and never printed, plus exclusive new content and a competition to win some nice prizes.


I'll be buying both! :)

_________________
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:46 pm 
Offline
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:02 pm
Posts: 419
Location: Kent,England
Me also :wink:

_________________
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:22 am 
Offline
Techno Teaboy

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:22 pm
Posts: 19
Location: London, UK
Blimey.....i didnt know anything about it 'til i just logged on. What a sad day indeed. Im yet another who subscribed in earnest (2 years worth, such was i an avid fan), so am now sitting here a tad grumpy having w*nkered away a load of dosh. Oh dear....

Thankfully we got the DEF tribute tho.....perfect timing, makes it even more valued now


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:38 am 
Offline
King of Ludlow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 1133
Location: Ludlow
Wizball 87 wrote:

Thankfully we got the DEF tribute tho.....perfect timing, makes it even more valued now


Yeah indeed, funny thing, eh?

_________________
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:13 pm 
Offline
Ken's Fishy Friend

Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:16 pm
Posts: 32
Location: streatham.london
hi all renewed my subs for a year 2 mags back :( it was a very good mag and loved reading it .very sorry to see it go as i felt it was the best retro mag going


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group