Did everybody who wanted a printed version, get one?

Discussion of the Zzap special by Mr. ZzapBack

Moderator: Lloyd Mangram

Did you manage to get your hands on the printed version of the Tribute?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:30 pm

Yes! I got it with Retro Gamer
21%
Yes! I got it from the Live website
7%
Yes! I got it direct from Mr. Zzapback! (Rob)
50%
No! I left it too late
No votes
No! I ordered from the site and it never got delivered!
14%
Zzap what? I prefer to spend my pocket money on issues of Big & Bouncy
7%

Total votes: 14

White Demon
Techno Teaboy

Post by White Demon »

Well I subscribed just before issue 18 came out, and then ordered an extra copy of the tribute about a week after. The last time I called Live (about three weeks ago) I was told issue 18 had been sent on the 22nd of July. I'm still yet to see it. I hold no hope of ever seeing either now.

I was going to ring up today and cancel my sub but of course theyre out of business now, so no change of that either. There's AUD$200 down the drain and nothing to show for it.

So, when's the PDF available?
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

It seems like a lot of people are out of pocket, especially after just subscribing after the editor's near begging for new subs in the last issue.

It's a terrible same that these people will be waaay down at the end of the list of creditors who'll be trying to get their money back
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I worked for a company that went into liquidation in (I think) 2000. I'm still waiting for money owed, despite the company taking the popular phoenix route (i.e. spin off a subsidiary a few months before you go under, then transfer all your IP, then carry on trading, screwing over "only" the little guys). Unless a company buys Live's IP _and_ shows remarkable goodwill, subscribers will, I fear, get sod all.

As for Live itself, I didn't realise the situation was quite that bad, but when RG went bi-monthly *and* the editor used his editorial to beg for subscribers, I kind of figured the writing was on the wall.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well if someone brings out the magazine again, the subs will probably be honoured, since the first thing most people will do when they run out, is renew them.

Look at how Europress Impact honoured the Newsfield subs.
darwinconan
Techno Teaboy

No, I did not get the Def tribute to Zzap!64

Post by darwinconan »

:cry: I order it from live publishing on July 29th. I still have not received it. I live in the U.S. and their is a small chance I might still get it because it can take a long time to get here. Also I got issue 18 here at expressmag which is a distributor and I had a subscription to and the Def tribute to Zzap!64 did not come with it. So I order it from Live publishing. To make thing worse my subscription ended with issue 18 so I got a new 12 month subscription from Live publishing. That was on July 19th. I spent 67.99 pounds for it. If I renewed my subscription with expressmag here in the U.S. I would have gotten my money back but I felt sorry for them and knew they would get more money if I did a direct subscription. Well that is the way it goes...

Darwin
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Darwin, I can arrange you a copy. PM me.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
darwinconan
Techno Teaboy

retro gamer issue 18 just arrived in the U.S.

Post by darwinconan »

I notice that retro gamer issue 18 has arrive on the newstands in the U.S. They are in all the biggest bookstores here. I looked thru them seeing if the Zzap64 special was in one of them by mistake but none of them had any. I knew that they were not suppose to have any but was seeing if Live messed up because these magazines must have been shipped out in the final days of Live or maybe not. Anyway I wonder how many people are going to spend 3 pounds to buy the zzap64 special and never will get it from Live since their website is still up and accepting money.

I was one of the poor souls that order it from the Live site and never got it. I was able to download it a couple of days ago. It looks really good. I just started reading it.

Darwin
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

From what I have read on other forums, the site is still working, though (apparently) no transactions are taking place.

I should imagine that a lot of people know about the situation with Live Publishing - I certainly wouldn't order something from a website without doing a bit of investigation to see that the comapny is still ok.
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

There's no option marked "I got my copy from Ant, who got it from Rob" :)

Thanks Rob, you're a ****ing champion.

(tries in vain to catch up on all the posts he's missed, finds the posts about Retro Gamer dying, and cries himself to sleep instead)
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Got mine with RG from WHSmith, High Wycombe. Great stuff! 8)