Chat about all the old and new games
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

oh...Paul the other one and let's Get Back to the topic :P
monkey010101
Freelancer

Post by monkey010101 »

I really think there should be groan emoticon :)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Nah, not necessary!

:D
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
monkey010101
Freelancer

Post by monkey010101 »

Does anyone remember those horror text adventures that were released that were given 15 certificates because of the gory graphics? I think they were Dracula, Frankenstein and Jack the Ripper if I remember correctly.
Anyway they were rubbish but the graphics weren't bad. I remember buying the Dracula one simply because of the hype and being quite disappointed.
Anyone else remember these?
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

i bought the Frankenstein game, but all i remember about it right now is trying to smoke the hemp which i found :wink:
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

monkey010101 wrote:Does anyone remember those horror text adventures that were released that were given 15 certificates because of the gory graphics? I think they were Dracula, Frankenstein and Jack the Ripper if I remember correctly.
Anyway they were rubbish but the graphics weren't bad. I remember buying the Dracula one simply because of the hype and being quite disappointed.
The quality of the text was excellent, some of the puzzles lacked imagination or were too complex. The graphics were gory, but after Dracula it became an advertising ploy by CRL. (Wolfman also got a certificate - 15 for the still picture version, 18 for the moving pictures)
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

The funny thing was, the games didn't need to be rated at all - the didn't come under the compulsory remit of the BBFC, and were only submitted so CRL could sell them on the back of their ratings. If you remember, they sent press releases to the tabloids as well as the games mags purely to drum up a controversy.

The games were terrible too. I played Frankenstein, resorting to a solution to get out of the building at the start. You had to 'sit down' and 'wait', and someone unlocked a door for you. I then escaped a bear by climbing a tree, but any attempt to get down without specifying 'to ground' assumed you wanted to jump to your death over a cliff instead. At that point, I gave up.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:
monkey010101 wrote:Anyway they were rubbish but the graphics weren't bad. I remember buying the Dracula one simply because of the hype and being quite disappointed.
The quality of the text was excellent, some of the puzzles lacked imagination or were too complex. The graphics were gory, but after Dracula it became an advertising ploy by CRL. (Wolfman also got a certificate - 15 for the still picture version, 18 for the moving pictures)
Agreed - the Rod Pike adventures were usually written with style and great use of language, if containing sometimes quite perplexing puzzles. The GFX were just a ploy.

Plus, it's great to see the term "text adventure" being used instead of all this "interactive fiction" nonsense. What a stupid nomenclature... :x
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

andy vaisey wrote: What a stupid nomenclature... :x
(Looks in Lloyd Mangrams Long Word Dictionary) :? :wink:
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

LeeT wrote:
Teacher: Use the word nomenclature in a sentence

Pupil: You can lead a gnome to culture, but you can't make him think :D
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:
LeeT wrote:
Teacher: Use the word nomenclature in a sentence
Pupil: You can lead a gnome to culture, but you can't make him think :D
:lol:

I will stop my wordiness... :wink:
amazingbeatleman
Techno Teaboy

BEATLE QUEST TEXT ADVENTURE GAME 1985

Post by amazingbeatleman »

HI THERE GARRY MARSH HERE. I WROTE AND PRODUCED THIS GAME.
ANY QUESTIONS ANYBODLE?

BEST WISHES
GARRY
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Garry - Did you write any other C64 games?
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
amazingbeatleman
Techno Teaboy

BEATLE QUEST AND OTHER GAMES?

Post by amazingbeatleman »

HELLO ANYBODLE, SADLY NO!
I STARTED TO WRITE THE SECOND AND THIRD PART OF THE TRILOGY:
A DAY IN THE LIFE PART TWO AND ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, BUT HELL TWENTY YEARS HAPPENED! DAMNED TIME MACHINE!
I ALSO STARTED ONE CALLED Q, A ONE LOCATION GAME!

ALL LOST IN THE MISTS OF TIME.
NO, ACTUALLY IN MY BEATLE DAZE COLLECTION SOMEWHERE.

WHEN I RETIRE I MIGHT GIVE IT ALL AGO AGAIN.

OH YEAH, WROTE A BOOK CALLED 'BABY YOU CAN DRIVE MY CAR!', BIOG OF THE LATE BEATLES CHAUFFEUR ALF BICKNELL.

KEEP ASKIN'

BEST WISHES
GARRY
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

hello there :D
as far as i know Beatle Quest is the only game on any system of this band (maybe)..a tinybit surprising...unless there's any on PC (free/shareware).

i reckon it would make for a good spin-off with a similar adventure based on like their first film "a hard days night"...also ability to switch beatles,maybe...but er, this time without the sudden untimely death syndrome. maxwells silver hammer is feeling a little more tangible right now whenever i play this game, a tough one :?

would like to see the final parts of the trilogy one day, and feels a little more anthology ;)
the ironical (very coinciding) reference of your software-label name with Level 9's was a well thought one.

while writing this, recently watching on sky news about Variety magazine announcing the beatles (in their oponion poll) as the most important band in the last one hundred years, a pointless exercise i think...they may as well wait until at least the year 2070 to conduct one of those.

btw do you have maybe a homepage/website link, possibly with a mention about the games etc?