Retro Gamer - Back Up & Running in December 2005!

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.

Would you take out another 12 month subscription to Retro Gamer??

YES - I wouldn't miss it for the world!
67%
NO - I've been burnt before and will only be buying one copy at a time!
33%

Total votes: 9

Wizball 87
Techno Teaboy

Retro Gamer - Back Up & Running in December 2005!

Post by Wizball 87 »

Anyone else received the letter from Imagine Publishing today? As a previous subscriber to (that now defunct) Retro Gamer i got a letter stating IP have purchased the rights, and shall be re-launching the mag on December 8th (priced £4.99). "As a gesture of goodwill" old subscribers will be receiving 3 free copies.........although old subscriptions will NOT be honoured or carried forward. I guess this was as expected..............but whats everyone's thoughts on this? Will you be subscribing??

The letter comments on the Imagine team having a 'proven background' in videogames, and were responsible for a number of the UK's most popular magazines, "including Zzap".

Comments?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Re: Retro Gamer - Back Up & Running in December 2005!

Post by CraigGrannell »

I'm actually surprised that they're not honouring subs, to be honest. While the three free issues is a nice gesture, I fell they'd have got more goodwill (and therefore more sales) by doing so. That said, Imagine is a fairly small publisher, so perhaps it couldn't take the hit, and three free issues is certainly better than nothing.

I didn't subscribe to RG—in fact, the only issue I bought after the first two was #18, and that's only because I was heavily involved with the Zzap! tribute. I doubt I'll subscribe to the "new" RG either, although as Darran's involved, I may well pick up the first couple of issues. It'll be interesting to see what the "including Zzap" comment means. I know Markie's doing the design, but I wonder whether other ex-Newsfield staff are involved, too?
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Dan Gilbert, presumably. ;)
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

gordon wrote:Dan Gilbert, presumably. ;)
hehe

Btw, (thread hijack ltd) congrats you and Kati with 'number 3'! :D
Ace! All's well and all that?

Have you tried Thalamus Publishing for your new novel, with a nice cover from Oli? hehe :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Craig, it's unrealistic to expect Imagine to take on ALL of Live's subscriber commitment. We're talking a lot of people, many of whom re-subscribed in June/July and are owed multiple issues.

Up to three free of the new RG is a great gesture, and I hope it works. I will subscribe.. and I hope to be involved on the writing side too.

Markie's just signed up to the Retro Survival forum ;)
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Craig, it's unrealistic to expect Imagine to take on ALL of Live's subscriber commitment. We're talking a lot of people, many of whom re-subscribed in June/July and are owed multiple issues.
Um, I know, hence why I said this: "That said, Imagine is a fairly small publisher, so perhaps it couldn't take the hit, and three free issues is certainly better than nothing."
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

2000-2500 people x 10-12 issues (potentially) owed... that's a LOT of revenue not being earned if they honoured it all. So I'm not really surprised. I'm surprised they are doing anything tbh, but t'is good that they are at least...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:Btw, (thread hijack ltd) congrats you and Kati with 'number 3'! :D
Ace! All's well and all that?
Everything's fine. And thanks. :)
Have you tried Thalamus Publishing for your new novel, with a nice cover from Oli? hehe :wink:
No, but I've got someone else interested; someone setting up a new publishing house. So at the moment it's good news.

/end of thread hijack.
savva0122
Techno Teaboy

Post by savva0122 »

Hi got my letter to from Imagine today, on balance I was quite pleased as you say I don't think they are obliged to do anything. I have to say I probably won't subscribe though, will purchase the mag through the website if that's possible, doesn't appear to be at the moment but hopefully by March when I've had the three "free" issues then there will be another mechanism. Not sure I fancy relying on Smiths.
Jax
Techno Teaboy

Post by Jax »

got my letter in the post yesterday, and in balance 3 issues free is a nice
gesture, and and as has been pointed out already, they are a new small
publisher.

will I be re-subscribing? Hell Yeah 8) , and is it my
imagination or are there even more Retro publications now
than ever?

It really seems that the old is the new ..errrr New :lol:
EnglishRob
Techno Teaboy

Post by EnglishRob »

It's great news about the magazine.

I was really disapointed when Live Publishing went under. Hope the original Retro Gamer staff will be writing for the magazine.

Rob
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

EnglishRob wrote:It's great news about the magazine.

I was really disapointed when Live Publishing went under. Hope the original Retro Gamer staff will be writing for the magazine.

Rob
At the moment that's unknown. The actual STAFF (employed by Live) may not be involved, or only involved as freelance. A lot of the freelancers from old RG are definitely interested in new RG.
EnglishRob
Techno Teaboy

Post by EnglishRob »

Hopefully it'll be as good as the old magazine. It's nice to have a portable fix of retroness... i.e. in magazine form which doesn't require being stuck in front of a computer.

Rob