Retro Gamer 19 now out :-)

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Mort
Director

Retro Gamer 19 now out :-)

Post by Mort »

Got mine via the free 3 issue sub,
Anyhow well worth the £5 admission, should be on the newsagents shelves by Thursday the 8th. Lots of speccy content, but a great bit on Shaun Southern and magnetic fields (trailblazer, kickstart etc) and the Pickford Brothers (180,Glider Rider and Max Headroom) but hopefully more 64 stuff should be upcoming and at least it was more 8 bit orientated this time.

Iain would you like me to get hold of a copy to post to you in the far off Emerald Island if they don`t make it that far west
:D
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I can't wait for this! :)

Its almost like when I used to be waiting for the next issue of ZZAP! I'm sure that Darran and everyone at Imagine will do a fine job.
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Dudley
Techno Teaboy

Post by Dudley »

They have. It' absolutely bloody superb. Everyone you wanted back is there but the overall style has grown up a little. The design has a couple of retro touches (like the writer portraits in a vaguely mean machines style) and there's bit more of an actual games focus this time.

I'm convinced.

£21 for 6 issues sub too.
Iain
Admin

Re: Retro Gamer 19 now out :-)

Post by Iain »

Mort wrote: Iain would you like me to get hold of a copy to post to you in the far off Emerald Island if they don`t make it that far west
:D
It should make it over here, the old Retro Gamer was available in quite a few places. I'll keep an eye out for it over the next week anyway.

Is the cover price £5 in the UK? Does it still come with a useless (for me) DVD? :(
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I think its now £4 per issue with no cover mount.
Dudley
Techno Teaboy

Post by Dudley »

£4.99.

£1 cheaper without the DVD but with 16 more pages than RG18.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Glad you liked the Magnetic Fields piece Mort - I've been working on it since January. Old RG were going to publish it in full (4500 words) but it had to be cut down (3600 words) for the new RG. Eeek, not a fun weekend I can tell you.
retronut
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by retronut »

got mine with the 3 mags free looks good and was a good read well done to all at imagine
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Bought my copy after work today and i'm very impressed - a very high quality production! 8)
savva0122
Techno Teaboy

Post by savva0122 »

Received mine today not really had chance to look at it yet but it does look very good and will digest it over the weekend!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

I think it's a great mag. I'm rather surprised so many people are critical of the design, though. I think Markie's done wonders, and it actually looks fresh and contemporary, and like a magazine I want to read, rather than a cluttered, fanzine-like production.
Dudley
Techno Teaboy

Post by Dudley »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Glad you liked the Magnetic Fields piece Mort - I've been working on it since January. Old RG were going to publish it in full (4500 words) but it had to be cut down (3600 words) for the new RG. Eeek, not a fun weekend I can tell you.
So given the way it was shrinking it would have been 95% of issue 19 along with a reprint of the entire final issue of CF being the back cover.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Dudley wrote:
Professor Brian Strain wrote:Glad you liked the Magnetic Fields piece Mort - I've been working on it since January. Old RG were going to publish it in full (4500 words) but it had to be cut down (3600 words) for the new RG. Eeek, not a fun weekend I can tell you.
So given the way it was shrinking it would have been 95% of issue 19 along with a reprint of the entire final issue of CF being the back cover.
Hehe. Actually there was some nice stuff lined up for "Old" issue 19, including a feature on a certain unreleased game. And if you want to read those articles, check out RETRO SURVIVAL (see my signature for the link)
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I've just finished reading the issue and it's excellent (you can read my full analysis over at the Retro Gamer forum). Imagine have really taken the mag to a whole new level and they have proven that a small company can produce a great mag that looks good too!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Got mine today in Dublin, it was on the bottom shelf but there was loads of them :)

I've only read the first 15 pages so far but it looks good. The very thick (almost cardboard) cover is a bit strange but good, since it should protect the magazine more.

The design looks pretty good to me, but what do I know about design? ;-)