physical magazine storage?

Everything else about Zzap
gizmomelb
Ken's Fishy Friend

physical magazine storage?

Post by gizmomelb »

Hi all,

a question to all the other physical magazine collectors out there - how do you store your magazines? ie: are these magazines going to be well and truly gone forever due to old age, insects etc. in the next 20 years or are there ways of storing them to help prevent further deterioration (within reason)?

do you lay them down flat or upright in folders/magazine boxes?
are they stored in bags or similar (eg: UV blocking comic storage bags)?

I'm interested to hear how everyone treats their 20 year magazines.

Cheers,
Gizmomelb
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

Due to current lack of space, mine are just piled up in two walk-in cupboards (though due to the amount of mags, I can barely get into the cupboards).
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
fgasking
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by fgasking »

Even when attempting to look after mags, they seem to age and get poor. But when buying some copies off Ebay, they have been so looked after they look brand new off the shelf.

They must dip them in preserving fluid/oil of ulay or something.. :)
Hunting the C64 games that werent!
http://www.gtw64.co.uk
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

I use freezer bags as they are cheap and plentiful and seal them with sellotape and then put the mags in the boxes a4 paper gets delivered into the office in,which makes them easily stackable (basically the same as comic bags and boxes but for very little outlay). :wink:
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
knight_beat
Techno Teaboy

Post by knight_beat »

Thanks for the recommendation, Mort. My father managed to find some A3 pockets about 10 years ago that I used to seal several magazines in a single pouch. Unfortunately, I could not find anywhere that sold these pockets. The nearest I could find were A3 polypropylene punched pockets that retailed at £13.69 for 25. Food bags are a cheap way of sealing the magazines and, unlike the new shopping bags, they shouldn't deteriate after a year (hopefully). I doubt they would handle heat well, though.

Quick question. Do you store the magazines horizontally or vertically?
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Store mine mags horizontally making sure they are tight in the box (no chance of creasing them :-)

Have checked the 2000ad`s before moving and as far as I can tell they are in the same condition as they were 15 years ago when I stored them using this method :-)
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Mort wrote:Have checked the 2000ad`s before moving and as far as I can tell they are in the same condition as they were 15 years ago when I stored them using this method :-)
So the paper still looks like toilet paper, then? :)

By the way, if you're a 2000 AD fan, you might want to check out the rather groovy range of graphic novels that Rebellion's selling.