Zzap!64 it's over, eh?

Everything else about Zzap
dgourlis
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by dgourlis »

I think the first tribute was hard to sell because there wasnt enough coverage for it at the media. I believe, but of course i could be wrong, that the most relevant target group, the Retrogamer reader, would be really interested.
Plato said, Beware the wrath of the patient man
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

dgourlis wrote:I think the first tribute was hard to sell because there wasnt enough coverage for it at the media. I believe, but of course i could be wrong, that the most relevant target group, the Retrogamer reader, would be really interested.
There are issues with the way the original one was handled. Because you could initially download it for free, I suspect many didn't consider they needed a printed version; plus, limited digital print-runs are notoriously expensive. There was some press, however (notably coverage in Edge).

The thing is, Zzap!64 #107 took me two solid weeks of work to complete, and while at the time I was happy to do it, I simply couldn't justify that now unless I got remuneration for it (which simply isn't going to happen). As for Retro Gamer readers, only a sub-set of a sub-set (a section of C64 fans) would be interested in another Zzap! (and that would be a "repetition" for many of them, seeing as Rob's tribute was given away with many copies of RG #18).

I guess, as we said, any future Zzap! appearing is down to enough people interested in doing an awful lot of hard work for something that's bound to start hitting the law of diminishing returns fairly soon. (Interest in the first Zzap! tribute was high, because it was the first one, but the third one?...)

If enough people who have the skills (and don't just turn out some kind of half-arsed, bardly written Zzap!-branded Word document), time and enthusiasm, good luck to them. However, I doubt I'll be a part of it, and I doubt Rob or Gordo would be either.

On the other hand, if I win millions of Pounds on the lottery (which I don't currently play, it has to be said), I'll make a promise to you that I'll start working on Zzap! #108!
Last edited by CraigGrannell on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dgourlis
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by dgourlis »

CraigGrannell wrote:On the other hand, if I win millions of Pounds on the lottery (which I don't currently play, it has to be said), I'll make a promise to you that I'll start working on Zzap! #108!
Well, at least I tried... :wink:
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

CraigGrannell wrote:However, I doubt I'll be a part of it, and I doubt Rob or Gordo would be either.
Even Gaz, who started the whole ball rolling with 107, had to step down from helping with Rob's Def Tribute and if anything his life has only become busier over the years. With the Big Four gone I'd be even more pleased to let Zzap! take its well-earned and final sleep.

Not that there aren't equally talented people out there who couldn't possibly resurrect it. It just ... wouldn't be the same.
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
dgourlis
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by dgourlis »

Ant wrote: Not that there aren't equally talented people out there who couldn't possibly resurrect it. It just ... wouldn't be the same.
Thats completely true. Nobody would like to see a "sequel". If the original guys are not involved then there shouldnt be another issue. If on the other hand some fans wanted to make a contribution and an effort to make such a publication come to fruition, then i think they should definitely name it in a way that distinguishes it from the original, inimitable, one and only Zzap 64.

I still remember the joy i felt when i spotted the first issue i bought at the newsstand kiosk, thanks of course to the eyecatching Oliver Frey cover. The same anticipation was felt through my student years at medical school and the same anxiety and joy when i received the new issue after all those years. Its a pity to see something connected with one's youth seize to exist, but i guess, like in real life, thats the natural course of things, eventually
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

I think the spirit of Zzap! has died.

Agree with all the comments on here, but I dont't know - it's just a feeling. Even the interest on ebay has dies down, no mags going for ridiculous prices ( last time I looked anyway )

Will the last person please turn out the light
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
RichH6109
Freelancer

Post by RichH6109 »

Blimey, this is a bit depressing!

In all seriousness, it's not as if you can keep Zzap's (and the C64's) memory alive forever. It appeals to people of a "certain" age - I'm sure the majority of people on here are over 30 and have lives mostly too busy to read old Zzap issues or fire up the emulator every day. I remember picking up Issue 2 from the newsagents as a 9 year old, but I can't recreate the feeling of anticipation as a cynical 30 year old.

I'm not in touch with any other retro-scene, but I'd bet that the most active scene at the moment is based on systems 5 or so years newer than the C64 (Megadrive? SNES?).

I think it became obvious to me when I purchased the DTV C64 system a few months ago - spent about an hour on it and never returned. Only the innovative games (Paradroid et al.) are still worth playing today - the rest have been superceded. Nostaligia's not what it used to be....
hsabbers
Techno Teaboy

Post by hsabbers »

RichH6109, you summarise eloquently and concisely the problem -- we all grow up and become adults with responsibilities. I now work for well-known national magazines and newspapers and dropped by here tonight for a bit of nostalgia. I spent my teen years lappng up every last word of Carash and Zzap reviewers. I'll probably do it again in a year or two. Or five. Or 50. And then I'll die. And so it will continue. It's merely a hankering after something that can never be recapturd -- one's easier youth. Enjoy the occasional wallowing, say I. But don't fret too much that it's past because today is just as much fun.

Harry.
I'm not who I say I am, but don't let that deter you.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

In terms of general Zzap! exposure, things have died down a little, yes, but eBay is definitely not a good yardstick, because prices go up and down like a yo-yo.

As for retro in general, Retro Gamer's content would seem to suggest that 8- and 16-bit stuff remains the most popular, as opposed to more recent systems. And with that magazine filling the void for retro-heads, "tributes" are less relevant and necessary than they once were.

Regarding games, I largely agree with Rich—most retro games really aren't that great these days. On the Xbox, my VICEX "favourites" list has maybe 40 games in it, and about a dozen of those are played fairly regularly. (Luckily, I'm working my way through the list for Retro Gamer, interviewing the creators for various articles!)
PeeknPoke
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by PeeknPoke »

Zzap!'s not dead (he says after not visiting this site for ages)

Also the spirit of Zzap! is not dead, Its just like everything in retro gaming - people have lives outside of their interests.

As for the 107 and Def guide...I would love to see another in the works.
There is still content to cover and games being produced.

I think if there was going to be a final Zzap! it should contain reviews of every single C64 game created (something akin to Halliwell's film guide)
Sounds impossible? Well Im currently writing an PeeknPoke guide to the arcade games and I am limiting myself to writing three small reviews a day and at that rate, its going to take years - although I am having fun doing it.

Now that would be a final Zzap! swansong. The ultimate C64 bible. Great for emulation players and new users...

Lee
Visit Lee's PeeknPoke for classic gaming then cry into your beer.
RichH6109
Freelancer

Post by RichH6109 »

PeeknPoke wrote: Now that would be a final Zzap! swansong. The ultimate C64 bible. Great for emulation players and new users...
Actually that's not a bad idea - I'd be up for helping with that!
Last edited by RichH6109 on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

25th anniversary special perhaps? Released through Thalamus Publishing? Lots of interviews with ex-staff and fanatical readers?

Sounds like a plan...
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Argh, oh noes, there goes my secret little project... :shock:

:twisted:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

Wouldnt be that bad if everone took a letter from the alphabet and played and reviewed those games.

Bagsy taking Z's
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Ockhams Razor
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Ockhams Razor »

another option would be use the existing Zzap! reviews and just write new reviews for the games not covered... does anyone have an idea how many games were not reviewed in the mag? Sure i have seen a list somewhere...

Havig said, that, the thing to remember about Zzap! is that it doesnt need new content to live on... the Beatles are not making records but people will always listen to them... ok, not the best comparison i admit, but can you name a computer magazine that has been as close to genius as Zzap!? Commodore User was more like the Monkeys... enjoyable but a little manufactured!

My Zzap!s are carefully stored and every couple of years i get them out and flick through and they always make me smile... the key test of the Beatles analogy is time... they get new young fans... will Zzap!? or will it just forever be us kids born in the 70's? - OK, lets test it... anyone reading this under 25 or over 45?....