Eagle comics

Everything else not related to emulation
richard
Techno Teaboy

Eagle comics

Post by richard »

I'm hugely impressed by the quality of the c+vg and zzap64 dvds. Any chance of doing other publications? I reckon there would be many who would love to buy a dvd of the old kids comics such as the eagle / warlord etc. It would be pure nostalgia reading about the computer warrior playing another real life c64 game :D
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

The IP for Computer Warrior is currently owned by Dan Dar Corp. Creating scans of that for sale would be a very bad move, unless Mort wants to get sued.
richard
Techno Teaboy

Post by richard »

fair enough, though I'm surprised publishers haven't seen the potential for dvd collections of their old comics.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

They're too easily pirated. Marvel has done some CDs, but it's big enough to take the hit. Smaller publishers are screwed if a CD of best bits or a completed collection ends up circulating on the web.
Fiery Phoenix
Sub Editor

Post by Fiery Phoenix »

This just reminded me of sole old Eagle annuals I used to have ( may still have?? )

Wasnt there a section where they ran a story board with real photographs?

They usually had a twist in the end with some macabre creature telling the story - similar to Tales from the Crypt
Fave Game: Thrust
Fave Music: Ocean Loader (original)

Discuss & view C64 endings here:

http://www.c64endings.co.uk./
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

The Eighties Eagle was entirely made up of photostories to begin with, with the exception of Dan Dare, which was drawn. However, as time went on, they found it wasn't selling well enough to justify this approach. Also, while photo stories may work well in a girl's magazine with the strips set in the heroine's school or the workplace, recreating typical boy's fare such as sci-fi or war stories was time consuming and expensive. Consequently, the theme was dropped in favour of artwork again.
monkey010101
Freelancer

Post by monkey010101 »

I remember photo story Doomlord. That was odd. I'd love to see those again.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

And don't forget the fact that Eagle was Oliver Frey's favourite comic.
He was especially fond of Dan Dare. Later he eventually drew Dan Dare for Eagle himself. Funny, eh?

Look, a new page I found about Oliver Frey. (scroll down a bit - I used that image too for the DEF Tribute to Zzap)

And this, interesting! Especially interesting as there are illustrations credited to Oli which aren't his work. Duh!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.