A thankyou

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Cass
Techno Teaboy

A thankyou

Post by Cass »

Hey

When I was 8, I recieved a Sega master system 1.
I didn't ask for it, I had never heard of it, but I loved animation and the Sega let me have control over animated things.

I had Hang On, I remember counting the 3 frames of the motorbike as I leaned into a turn, and wondering why Sega used only 3.
I thought about how much better I could animate it if I was given the job.

At school, every boy wanted to talk about computer and video games,
but all they ever spoke about was how to get further in the game.
They took the magic for granted.

I wanted to talk about what games were, and how they were made, and I privately made a plan for my own game which I was going to send to Sega. In my daydreams, Sega would declare me a child prodigy and the world would finally understand.

Issue 11 of Sega Force magazine was the first magazine I ever owned.
My parents bought it for me on a school holiday when I was about 9.
It was the most exciting reading experience of my life.

When I opened the magazine, it was like having a group of young adults talk passionately to me about something I had been alone with.
Through them, I soon learned why only so many frames of animation were possible on my Master System and how things were getting better.
It made me think of the possibilities.

I probably had more fun reading Sega, than I did playing Sega.

To Mort and to others who scan,
thankyou
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Cheers Cass,
The support is appreciated, still trying to rescue more magazines form the 16 bit era with around 5 work in progress and a few more on the back burner until I can get permission or a decent start on sourcing the magazines. I guess you bought the Sega dvd`s :wink:

Sadly as I try to make the magazines as easy as possible to backup for the people who donate, it also means others can copy and sell them on ebay with not having to lift a finger (Calling Rob,Calling ROb, Mr ZZapback check this out )
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crash-Magazine-Ev ... dZViewItem

I have sent a polite email to him so maybe he will see sense as I have spent £200 on old mags via ebay and private sales in the last couple of months for more mags to work on. Did notice he has been selling the SU dvd also in past auctions.

Oh well he may be good and stop

:)
Last edited by Mort on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

I had some of my work in Issue One of Sega Force, though if memory serves, it was credited to someone else because they hadn't got my reviewer head done on time.
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Welcome to the forum Cass.

Ian, what was really going on behind the scenes when the "super team" was brought in to run all the mags? Was that what was really happening, or was it a bluff?
Cass
Techno Teaboy

Post by Cass »

Hey Mort
Yeh, I bought both the Sega Force and Mean Machines Sega DVD's from you.
You've done such a crazy job scanning those A-L, M-Z review novels!
I was such a dweeb, I remember carrying that review guide with me all over the place like a pocket bible

What are your work-in-progresses?

Hi Ian,
thats so cool you used to write for Sega Force,
what was it like and what sort of work are you in now?
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:Welcome to the forum Cass.

Ian, what was really going on behind the scenes when the "super team" was brought in to run all the mags? Was that what was really happening, or was it a bluff?
I'm not too sure what you mean here. Sega and Nintendo Force were to be produced by a shared team, but as you probably know, Nintendo Force was canned after a legal from Nintendo which arrived between Newsfield's demise and Impact's arrival. When N-Force was launched a while later, a separate team was put together to produce it.

All the magazines had their own teams. There never was a 'super team' covering all the titles.
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

Cass wrote:Hi Ian,
thats so cool you used to write for Sega Force,
what was it like and what sort of work are you in now?
It was great at the start, with everyone working together, and the management leading from the front. By the end, several members of staff were blatantly taking the piss, not pulling their weight and creating work for other people, and the management seemed to bury its collective head in the sand rather than make a decision. I guess the company expanded too quickly, leaving no time for consolidation.

These days I'm in marketing and PR.
Mort
Director

Post by Mort »

Thanks again Cass,
Current Wip are below:

Raze (issue 13 mia if exists?)
Zero
The One

and a few others with a lot further to go (the above all need about 2 issues each now after 2-3 years hunting!)

Cheers Stephen :D
Where`s my screwdriver, need to replace another 6581 Sniff