Other magazines (not Zzap) but: SUPER PLAY!

Everything else not related to emulation
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

"Zombies Ate My Neighbours"

em that sounds like a classic game! ;-)
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

It was a Lucasarts title in a similar vein to Alien Syndrome, just a lot weirder and better! 2 player co-op action as well, damn fine game...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Yes indeed, very cool game, atmospheric music too. Weird enemies!
And..I forgot to mention it on my (humble - in comparison to what Mayhem has in his attic) list. 8)
No Chrono Trigger, Mayhem? Shaaaame on you! :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

It's in there, you missed it ;)

As for the scans, my sodding scanner is playing up and refusing to recognise anything in the bottom left corner at the moment. It just locks up if there anything there :?

There's no back issue list in #47 (which is the last issue, I forgot, I thought there were 48 ), so they are gonna have to wait for now...
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

biggestjim said:
No Chrono Trigger, Mayhem? Shaaaame on you!
Mayhem:
It's in there, you missed it!
Woops, sorry! :oops:
Unbelievable game, indeed. I saw 'Eartbound' in your list, now there's a game I like to play for real.
I'm still looking out for an affordable oportunity on eBay.

Mayhem, about those Super Play mags, can you find out which issue got the last backissue orderpage with all those little thumbnail pics of the covers? I'd only need a quick scan of those thumbnails..and all frontcovers from that issue on to 47. :roll: That 'll be quite some work (exactly like you stated: two scans per page, shame about the format!) Well, when your scanner is fixed I hope you could help me out, since I'm busy creating a website, and I want to give a large amount of attention to Super Play, and all their RPG coverage. I'm also very interested in their Zelda guide, issue 2&3. I don't have those. Well, we'll wait & see.
Thanx for your help so far.

Ta!
Rob

btw, did Super Play unexpectedly die, or did they know that it was the last issue at the time? Or did they change their name when the N64 got into play? Just curious.
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Each issue does actually JUST about fit onto my A4 scanner with about 2-3mm overlap at the edge, nothing major. Just a pity something's playing up. It might be the fact I'm having to fudge the compatibility by using 2000 drivers on XP (there are no native updates for it), or it may well just be getting old and worn out.

So if it worked, no worries on doing full scans for all issues you need.

Zelda guide was also actually repeated in the last issue, #47, as a bonus.

With the N64 coming out and hardly any new SNES games being released (though up till that point, DKC3 still hadn't appeared) the decision was made to temporarily stop the mag. It was reborn several months later as "N64" with much the same staff, and then it has mutated into "NGC" along the way as the Cube came out. So essentially it's the same mag still, just with different people at the helm (though a couple of the old Superplay people are STILL there, having left and come back)...
Armakuni
Techno Teaboy

Post by Armakuni »

I have a ton of snes stuff and all the Super Plays. It's still my favourite machine.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Armakuni wrote:I have a ton of snes stuff and all the Super Plays. It's still my favourite machine.
Probably mine, too; though it's too soon to tell if the Gamecube will overtake it. I just got my SNES down from the attic yesterday, and have been running through some of my favourites -- Super Mario Kart, Dr Mario, Super Marioworld...

g.
Armakuni
Techno Teaboy

Post by Armakuni »

Well the Gamecube can play the golden three via the gbaplayer, and has almost every Resident Evil yet released, so it's only very slightly behind for me. As soon as Mario 128, Zelda 2 and RE4 are released i suspect the Gamecube will become favourite.

A port of the immortal Super Mario 64 wouldn't hurt either.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Armakuni wrote:Well the Gamecube can play the golden three via the gbaplayer, and has almost every Resident Evil yet released, so it's only very slightly behind for me. As soon as Mario 128, Zelda 2 and RE4 are released i suspect the Gamecube will become favourite.

A port of the immortal Super Mario 64 wouldn't hurt either.
Is there going to be another Mario? I'd look forward to playing that one. And are the Resident Evil games any good? I've only ever played one (the first) and wasn't too impressed, but I'm not averse to zombies :) and it's going cheap at my local games store. Which is the best one to get? Or am I better off waiting for 4 to be released?

And Zelda is a must, of course. :) WindWaker was another masterpiece to match Ocarina of Time... a bit easier, but still beautiful.

g.
Armakuni
Techno Teaboy

Post by Armakuni »

Yes, Shigeru Miyamoto and his team are hard at work on Super Mario 128, which is supposedly more than 50% complete. They were able to show it at this year's E3 but refrained from doing so because their gameplay features are allegedly so original that Nintendo feared they might be stolen. It's due out next year.

Resident Evil is a very strong arcade adventure series (you know the thing, find item/use said item somewhere else) spliced with atmospheric horror movie tribute action. Resident Evil 2 is a great place to start as is the easiest and most spectacular (if you don't mind the dated psx graphics), although the pal version has no 60hz mode. It also offers unparallelled value for money. Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0 are the titles that have been made specifically or Gamecube and are some of the finest games for the machine. The entire series features an ongoing storyline so a little background info wouldn't hurt before part 4 (note- RE0 is a prequel although was released only recently, Lucas-style).

Dare i say i was a little underwhelmed by Ocarina of Time, but that was probably just my sky-high expectations after Link To The Past and Link's Awakening. Wind Waker was a big improvement though.