Impact reunion?

Talk about the staff who used to work on the mag
paz
Techno Teaboy

Impact reunion?

Post by paz »

It's about time sang The Lemonheads...though I also remember myself and Timmy Herschmann singing "Two Little Boys" to the tune of "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred at a Karaoke night many moons ago.

Aye, tis I, Paz...what say all thee Impact Magazines' lubbers cirac 1992-1993 trying to have a beer together afore we all die of skurvy?

Or we could get together for a pint?

paz@pagin8.com, lerrus know. BTW if anyone is near Camden drop me a line and I'll come and buy you a pint
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

Maybe a more general Newsfield reunion could be organised? Must be nearly 25 years since the first issue of Crash?
robin hogg
Techno Teaboy

Post by robin hogg »

yeah, why not.............. nice to have a day trip out to Ludlow.
Robin 'Pig in a Poke' Hogg
Ex ZZAP!
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

OK then, how about celebrating 25 years since Newsfield formed? A big reunion bash in Ludlow next year, with as many former staff and fans as possible... A significant date, like when the first mail order catalogue went out would be a nice thing to tie it to.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:A significant date, like when the first mail order catalogue went out would be a nice thing to tie it to.

I like the idea itself (a lot - this is going on in my head since the DEF Tribute to Zzap), but time's running short, we're talking early/mid 1983.

I'd say if you do it, do it well. Take the launchdate of Crash (January 13, 1984 IIRC ->january 13, 2009) and go from there. I'm 100% sure Roger and Oli are willing to give a hand, and it also gives everybody time to put the date into their agenda's and plan towards it.
Why not go for it and even try to get Jaz out of the USA? Jonathan lives in Portugal AFAIK. Many others have busy, busy lives, so you need to give them time to focus on that date.

If Roger and Oli are involved (and I'm sure they also know a couple of great places to celebrate) it will gain a lot more attention from all ex-staffers. I'd say, make it a truly memorable event: go for 2009!

Btw, you have a volunteer here, I can do 'marketing' for the event, invitations, website etc. and I have lots of contact details of ex-staff (DEF Tribute era).

Once again, when you wanna make it happen, do it well. I think you might get one chance only to organize an event like this, getting the attention of the big shots as well. (Jarratt, the Rignalls, Penn, mr. (ex) Elspa etc.)

Let's storm our brains!

ps. Newsfield reunion with quite an Impact! :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

The Bull Hotel would be a good place to meet. It was Newsfield/Impact's 'local' back in the day, and hasn't changed much since.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

This the one?

http://www.bull-ludlow.co.uk/

Don't suppose they have a separate room in the bar to rent out, if you remember the layout Ian?
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

That's the one, but I'm pretty sure they don't rent out event rooms. Not that I recall, anyway.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

That website is about as ancient as the building. Tsk. :)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Post by So Long Ago »

Ian Osborne wrote:That's the one, but I'm pretty sure they don't rent out event rooms. Not that I recall, anyway.
They used to. One of the Newsfield Christmas parties was held upstairs once.

Went to the Bull last month for the first time in about years it's not changed that much
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

So Long Ago wrote:They used to. One of the Newsfield Christmas parties was held upstairs once.

Went to the Bull last month for the first time in about years it's not changed that much
Ah, never knew that - must've been before my time. Did you work at Newsfield/Impact yourself? Do I know you? :D
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Shhh, so long ago is our secret member.
Discussions about who he is/was have unfortunately been deleted with the Rrap crash 2/3 years ago. (3500 post and many interesting topics got lost!) So we still don't have a clue who he is, but we know he's old skool Newsfield and definately (wa-hay) before your time.

We'll find out about him at the reunion in 2009 I guess. 8)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

So Long Ago wrote: They used to. One of the Newsfield Christmas parties was held upstairs once.
And they don't now or you aren't sure?

Would be ideal to be able to book a room or corner of a bar to have everybody in the same spot, especially if it was generally busy.

Mr. Zzapback could put on a pinny (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pinny link for Rob) and serve cocktail sausages! ;-)
So Long Ago
Freelancer

Post by So Long Ago »

Iain wrote:And they don't now or you aren't sure?
No idea this was back circa 1985 in the days of Chris Barrack (famed for his tolerance of under age drinkers). Pub has changed hands since then
Ian Osborne wrote:Do I know you?
We probably met but I think you were impact and my association with the magazines was pretty much over by then.
Ian Osborne
Staffer

Post by Ian Osborne »

So Long Ago wrote:We probably met but I think you were impact and my association with the magazines was pretty much over by then.
'Pretty-much'? Geoff Grimes?

Actually, I was Newsfield too - for the last fortnight of its existence! :D