HTML Reviews

News related to the site
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

iain wrote:Which one/version browser are you using? Anything else on the site seem weird to you?
No, no, don't worry iain, it's just that using a slow connection I put my browser's settings so that it doesn't show images (unless I right-click the ones I want to see). Thus I don't see the boxes. :oops: But everything's fine, really.
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Post by Jianso »

Low output from me recently
(more important stuff required my attention)
But a review-per-day typing-input will commence asap.
I'll get to the end of Issue 26, then freeform...
Starts on monday (hopefully)
If everyone looked the same and you didn't know your name, how would you find you?
Fab
Freelancer

Post by Fab »

It is great to see HTML reviews! Hope Dimitris' eforts are merged with other people's on this site!

Some other things it would be great to see ("those viewers are never content! They always want more!"):
- all Megatapes online
- HTML versions of all issues' contents pages (and, as long as I'm dreaming, links to HTML versions of reviews/features etc.)
- for each issue, a small forum in which everyone can post trivia about that issue (e.g. "Do you know that Paul Rand appears as a contributor in issue 48's credits, although he only joined the staff in issue 49?", or "Who is the guy who wrote the Darkman review in issue 78? I never saw that face elsewhere in Zzap!")
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well Dimtris has agreed to let me use the text of his reviews, some of them are online already.

All the megatapes will be online soon (that's Def Guide to ZZap soon, ie within the next year or so!)

The contents pages of the individual issues will be created and have links to all the reviews and features online. I just need to get enough of them online before I rewrite and dynamicise (?!) the content pages.

Em, little comments on the contents pahe might be a good idea, would have to screen them first though...
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Typing Monkey 47: status update

Post by Jianso »

Still run off my feet. Typical. Dunno when I'll get more than an hour or so a day on a pc yet. Shouldn't be too long until I have enough free time to type some more reviews in. I will finish issue 26, promise!

Ah, sod it, I've got a few mins I might as well start typing something interesting in.

Delta, that's a game I loved to hate. Ever notice that the more a game costs you, the more effort you're willing to put into it to see what the Zzap chaps liked it for? Well, I did. Delta seemed like a cross between Simple Simon machine and Nemesis/Gradius. Fun, though, when you get it right.
If everyone looked the same and you didn't know your name, how would you find you?
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Woops! :shock:
Watch out with what you're saying about Delta, Jianso!
It could easily start a war over here. :wink:
Rob
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Post by Jianso »

Don't worry, I actually played the game to death and enjoyed it, it just used to frustrate me so much. :oops:

Anyway, we've had our war for this year. :roll:

I'm not too sure who's next in line, but I don't think its Mr Fasoulas! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Did I read somewhere that he's over in the US now?)
Iain
Admin

Googled

Post by Iain »

Looks like the html reviews have been spidered by google, do a search of a name of a game and review and up pops my site, usually in top position!

e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... gle+Search
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Re: HTML Reviews, lack of

Post by Jianso »

Apologies for the lack of reviews that I've sent in recently.

I've managed to get my main pc up and running in a semi-reliable state (windows usually boots okay 1 in 3 times) :x About time I "upgraded" to XP I think!
Once I get Linux installed on this again, I should be able to get some more typed in - I still haven't finished issue 26 ...
Can't say when I'll get the time, but as soon as I have a day or two free to get linux up and running, I'll be contributing again. (Can't use the wife's laptop all the time..) :roll:

Cheers,
Christian.
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

iain,
I see you've added three new reviews (Kikstart, Dropzone and Elite).
Great work there, mate, keep 'em coming (so that we can read and Zzapback them :D ).

I noticed that on Elite's review the ratings box ends like this:

VALUE FOR MONEY 95%
Just under ten pounds for an alternative way of life.
OVERALL 97%
Even at £14.95 it's a must.

But, besides the fact that one assumes the price to be 9.95 and the other 14.95, the reviews on issue 1 didn't have an overall rating, and the comment shown under the overall tag was under the VFM one in the original review...

How about that? :?
My top games: 1.Hawkeye, 2.Delta, 3.Creatures 2, 4.Armalyte, 5.Bubble Bobble, 6.Uridium, 7.Ikari Warriors, 8.Bionic Commando, 9.Buggy Boy, 10.Archon.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

..and I only see the comments of Bob Wade?
Uh-oh!
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

That's because only Bob Wade did the original review (which was the only reason Elite got a Gold Medal). See the later Zzapback for Julian and Gary's response.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Uh-oh, again. :wink:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

SLF, thanks for that, I did notice the 9.95 and 14.95 reference, thought they were possibily talking about eh casette version in one and disk version in the other. But as you said, there wasn't an "Overall" rating in the very early issues. The text originally came from the review on Bridaggan Zzap 64 Online so he must have used his own Overall rating or something.

Anyway, the changes have been made to the review... Ta muchy for bringing it to my attention!
SLF
Freelancer

Post by SLF »

iain wrote:SLF, thanks for that, I did notice the 9.95 and 14.95 reference, thought they were possibily talking about eh casette version in one and disk version in the other. But as you said, there wasn't an "Overall" rating in the very early issues. The text originally came from the review on Bridaggan Zzap 64 Online so he must have used his own Overall rating or something.

Anyway, the changes have been made to the review... Ta muchy for bringing it to my attention!
Glad to be of help :)