Issue 108 - Why there can never be an issue 108

Everything else about Zzap
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

What would you want to see in Zzap!64 issue 108 then?
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:What would you want to see in Zzap!64 issue 108 then?
The usual accurate, high quality reviews of many of the games released since issue 107 - for example, those found here...

Usual news updates of happenings since issue 107.

Technical section - which introduces how to start coding on the C64 using cross assembly on a pc.

Usual tips/letters sections.

On trial section - spotlight on some of the bad ideas in ZZAP! Not everything was perfect so would be a chance to poke fun at some of the less successful ideas.

New interviews - not older ones culled from other websites, but brand new interviews with past industry figures.

Some re-reviews (ZZAP Back) - not from a specific issue, but a bit like in the DEF tribute where there was a brief look at games that were under/over rated. There are plenty more to choose from!

Section for other commodore machines (just like the old occasional articles) - round up of recent VIC or Plus/4 releases, etc.

Games competition - bit like the one run on Lemon64, but done in style of ZZAP! challenge.

Articles on C64DTV and Wii C64 releases.

Look to the future - not game previews, but short "interviews" with current game/demo developers about where they see the C64 going, etc.

And I'm sure I can think of more. I wasn't thinking of anything "brand" new or a rehash of anything already done, just more of an update to follow 107. Naturally, some of these ideas would be included as standard - it wouldn't be ZZAP! otherwise!
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

andy vaisey wrote:Section for other commodore machines (just like the old occasional articles) - round up of recent VIC or Plus/4 releases, etc.
definitely some more C16/Plussy reviews. there was an article back in issue can't remember with a handful of reviews and would love to read more, notably this time games such as the classic Tom Thumb, BMX Racers, and the totally unreviewed Daley Thompsons Star Events which was the only Ocean release, & erm, anything else. don't mind really.

...or maybe even devote a one-off seperate Zzap16 magazine and flog them all over the C16/Plus4 sites. bang in loadsa reviews and stuff, i'd bet they'd bite yer fingers off for a copy (just not literally), the scene over there is still pretty big. i sure would buy it anyway. before i got my C64, i always felt i was missing out on Zzap :(

what about another Diary Of A Game feature? there's still some sceners around creating new games, or maybe Smila could contribute whilst recreating one of the old classics for PC. although i guess it would have to be more compacted for one issue only.

Lord Mange-gram? (soz LLoyd Mangram). hmm, could always ask members here and Lemon64 to email their questions and gushing praises. the best and worst ones make the magazine and a free copy. that would be kinda fun, heh.

no real point of the tips section anymore is there? feels like a waste of paper and ink now. just say it's been hacked like mangrams missing section in the retrogamer issue :lol:

please try make it at least 100 pages, it's now always considered a rare special occasion. bring back the good old days. i'd pay a little bit more for a copy. if it is to be the last ever issue, may as well go out with a bang :D;)

ps. thanks muchly for the last 2 zzap issues, i unfortunately missed out on a copy for issue107 and could only download it, but i bought the retrogamer issue. they were both fantastic. great work.
Last edited by Sixteen Plus on Sat May 17, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

That's at least two of us who want a new issue and who want new features...

As for the diary: I'd loved to include someone like T.M.R (doesn't know yet) to do a ZZAP! special for a few pages... He might kill me?
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

All awesome suggestions there. In all honesty I'd love to see 108 rise from the abyssal depths but there are certain logistics that cause problems ... a lot of the original 107 crew now have different jobs and new (or larger) families and consequently, a lot less free time. The rest seem to have moved on to different pastures. And I'm not sure how a recruitment drive would go.

We'd really need a committed editor/project lead to bring the beast to life.

And no, that's not me volunteering. :wink:

But I'd be willing to contribute ... if such a thing were to happen. But what are the odds of that?

I mean, really?

Slim at best ...

... still, slim is better than none ...
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

It could be a nice retirement project for us all in 30 or so years! ;-)
Professor Brian Strain
King of Zzap Towers

Post by Professor Brian Strain »

I was thinking more along the lines of 25th anniversary...

Retro Survival incorporating ZZAP 64 perhaps?
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Gives us two years then...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Professor Brian Strain wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of 25th anniversary...

Retro Survival incorporating ZZAP 64 perhaps?
Well, the first bit has a nice sound to it!

The second? Hmmm... NO!
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Iain wrote:It could be a nice retirement project for us all in 30 or so years! ;-)
well, give me some kinda eternal f(l)ame and i would gladly contribute to any Zzap16 reviews.

nice thought though :D
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Mayhem wrote:Gives us two years then...
Sounds fair to me ...
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

April 1985 (May issue) +25 years=April 2010

Means: start with brainstorming: Like now
Start of carefully crafted project: Spring 2009

The thing is, I think this only works with a small team of (semi)professionals with, of course, contributions of lots of different dedicated enthusiasts.

Other thing is, there's a lot of enthusiasts, but only a couple of guys who can really pull off something of this kind of magnitude.
Personally I'm afraid I can't make it due to other priorities in life, although I'd really love to (help) create it. (under certian conditions) But I guess it's up to others to do the 'real' work.

Remember people, it took me almost half a year of pretty much all my spare time to create the DEF tribute, and then there was planning and brainstorming for more than a year before that.
Craig also has his stories of ridiculous dedication with 107 (and the DEF tribute).
And only for the cachet, not the cash...

Writing and/or having an idea is, in a way, the easiest part. Creating and producing a professionally looking magazine is a whole different matter, unfortunately.

Oh I wish I could sound more uplifting... 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

:(
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Always good to see action in this section, especially when none of it is a definitive "no"...
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

:D