GBA recommendations

Everything else not related to emulation
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Graig:
The thing is with GBA emulators, they're not that good and it sort of defeats the point, playing hand-held games on-screen.
True, but the idea is to check those 400 games on quality, and upload +/- 50 roms to that cartridge, so you can choose whatever game suits your mood..and err, oh yeah, and it's totally free :wink:

(free, except for that cartridge indeed, but what's $130 when you can play your games for free?-ok, there's the legal question-but do you think I ever owned a original c64 game back in the 80's?-no wahay-except for Maniac Mansion & Microprose (sensi)Soccer then)

Wouldn't it be cool if someone developed such a usb cartridge for the SNES so you could upload all your downloaded roms to it and play it on the real thing!?

(finally enabling me to play mario rpg, earthbound & secret of mana 2 for real!- grrrrooovy!)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Well, in all things (CDs, DVDs, software) I prefer to have the originals wherever possible. MAME and _very_ old systems are the only real exceptions I make, and even then I'll buy the odd retro cart.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:Well, in all things (CDs, DVDs, software) I prefer to have the originals wherever possible. MAME and _very_ old systems are the only real exceptions I make, and even then I'll buy the odd retro cart.
You probably find this difficult to believe, but back in my C64 days I didn't have a single piece of pirated software (one of the downsides to being antisocial ;) , I guess), and it always amazes me how much there was about. Can't remember having any on the Amiga/ST either (though by that time I got review copies, so had no need), and obviously I never owned any on the various consoles I've owned, mainly because they were Nintendo, and proprietary formats.

That said, I've downloaded tons of games for the PC emulators I own, and think the GBA thing -- downloading so you can see what games are like before you buy -- is a great idea. I agree with you: GBA emulators aren't much use, except to preview games -- the mobile experience of a real GBA is completely different, and much better, a bit like the difference between having a battered old book in your hand and reading it in Word on a computer.

g
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

Good news for anyone old enough to have owned an Atari 2600 and young enough to be able to see the GBA:

http://www.atariage.com/news/gba_anthology/

g.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I've played the PS2 version, it's very good, and fortunately had a lot of input from the original programmers (as I got to talk to some of them at CGE earlier this month)...
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Sounds good. Let's hope it's better than the Atari GBA comp.
Jianso
Techno Teaboy

Afterburner frontlight for the GBA

Post by Jianso »

Does anyone here have any experience fitting an "afterburner" frontlight to an original GBA? I've been thinking about it for a while, but haven't been able to summon up to guts to buy one and give it a try.

We've got a GBA each (me and me wife) but hardly get to play them. They're so bloody dark :cry: We've tried changing the lightbulb in this room for a brighter one (actually burnt the connector to a crisp with the heat) but it''s useless. She got some way into Golden Sun before we had to get her new glasses.

I've tried fiddling with the pot in the back of the machine and that can help a little, not enough though. SO, either I sell the two gameboys to buy an SP or I try installing an afterburner. By some accounts the afterburner actually produces a clearer screen! I dunno, has anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers,
Christian.
If everyone looked the same and you didn't know your name, how would you find you?
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Sell them and get the SP! :) No problems with lights for that model.
seanbags
Freelancer

Post by seanbags »

I need a wife.. :?
Tentatively clicks SUBMIT and cringes..oh well, If you can handle C64 you can take a joke.
Armakuni
Techno Teaboy

Post by Armakuni »

I strongly recommend the following:

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past - The best game ever made. Simple as that.

Phantasy Star Collection - Yes they're rpgs, but you get 3 classics and it's worth it just for the Master System original alone.

Super Mario Advance 2 - Super Mario World. the first in Nintendo's consecutively released "best game ever" trilogy.

Super Mario Kart Advance - The third. Although it's different now and a lot easier. Still excellent.

Gradius Galaxies - Very hard but very good.

Any Castlevania - They're all terrific.

Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts - Even harder than the snes version (if that's possible), but rewarding and fun.

Metroid Fusion - A little straightforward at face value, but figuring out how to get all the items after you beat it is the true challenge.
Browncat
Techno Teaboy

Post by Browncat »

The GBA looks like it will be blown out of the water by Nintendo's new hand held Game Cube due out late 2004-early 2005. I've got a GBA and am currently looking for a copy of Duck Tails, which was very cool on the the old GB, I bought Zelda the other day, yep its good.
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

The thing is, I'm happy with the GBA, because it's the last bastion of the 2D game. As soon as the handheld PSX and GBA successor appear, that's the end of 2D gaming (for the most part).
Browncat
Techno Teaboy

Post by Browncat »

I do agree, but I am sure that the mini Game Cube would run the old gb and gba games and as us lot here have proved there is a high interest in retro gaming. Also I would suggest that the games market is becoming increasingly older, games are no longer just for kids; As a consequence us gnarly old boys will have to be catered for. For example look at the package releases of old arcade classics on every system and revamped 2d games such as R-type final. Emulation is also becoming more popular as a result of the crusty games player and games makers will have to take note to keep us old farts happy. So I for one do not fear for the end of 2d gaming, it won't happen.
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

CraigGrannell wrote:The thing is, I'm happy with the GBA, because it's the last bastion of the 2D game. As soon as the handheld PSX and GBA successor appear, that's the end of 2D gaming (for the most part).
Good argument, and one which certainly sways me. It's also worth noting that the GBA is compatible with a few Gamecube games and adds extra levels to those like Animal Crossing; it even unlocks the original Metroid from Metroid Prime.

In any case, the SP looks great. :)

g.
alexhighnumber
Freelancer

Re: Afterburner frontlight for the GBA

Post by alexhighnumber »

Firstly, I strongly agree with the wario ware/mega microgames recommendation. That and Advance wars are what the GBA's made for!
Jianso wrote:Does anyone here have any experience fitting an "afterburner" frontlight to an original GBA? I've been thinking about it for a while, but haven't been able to summon up to guts to buy one and give it a try.

I've tried fiddling with the pot in the back of the machine and that can help a little, not enough though. SO, either I sell the two gameboys to buy an SP or I try installing an afterburner. By some accounts the afterburner actually produces a clearer screen! I dunno, has anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers,
Christian.
Yes, I fitted one that came with the replacement front panel with the switch already fitted to make things easier. It was still pretty fiddly though (with my aged 25w hobby soldering iron) and unfortunately the instructions weren't the best in the world and I ended up making a mistake, so had to reopen the case and do a change which unfortunately got a little dust in (which luckily only shows when the screen is off).

Fitting it has vastly improved things although I wouldn't say the pictures any sharper, just visible now - in fact I only have the light on a low setting as higher starts to cause white out.

I think I only really did it as a challenge as I'd already modded the gameboy with a TV de Advance (which actually does get a lot of use!). If I was you I would consider just getting an SP unless your practical with a soldering iron.