Zzap64.com

Everything else about Zzap
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Gaz, mate ... you always pop up when I least expect it! :D

(Speaking of which did you ever get my thank you message for Sherlock? :wink: )

Anyway, as always your words are laced with wisdom ...
"Isn't this where ... we came in?"
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

heh no problem mate :) I tried to get the bugger signed, but the author left Melbourne House shortly after we bought them! D'oooh.

(ponders the idea of a gaming site done in the style of zzap updated daily with one new review every weekday, weekly feature columns and weekend 'other stuff' updates like Lloyd or Baud Walk-style stuff...works out to be the same amount of content as a print mag...um...hmm...carry the 1, do the math...hmmm...not like I'm busy atm ...hmmm...wonder if iain would let us borrow the .com domain...good thing im not posting this online and just talking to myself...)

oh wait what does this button d
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Oh, that's evil, Gaz. No way ... nuh huh ...

... maybe ...

:wink:
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

...baited breath...
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

andy vaisey wrote:...baited breath...
You eat worms? :wink:

(it should be "bated breath"... this mis-spelling is one of the most common I think I ever see, even professional writers get it wrong, I'm looking at you Ms JK Rowling!)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Poor Gaz. Once it's in your blood, it never leaves... :D
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Mayhem wrote:
andy vaisey wrote:...baited breath...
You eat worms? :wink:
(it should be "bated breath"... this mis-spelling is one of the most common I think I ever see, even professional writers get it wrong, I'm looking at you Ms JK Rowling!)
Actually, I meant to write baited bread. I use bread for bait when fishing.

Honest.

Hmmmm... Correcting mistakes. Sounds like we have a volunteer for editor of 108...
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Gazunta wrote: (ponders the idea of a gaming site done in the style of zzap updated daily with one new review every weekday, weekly feature columns and weekend 'other stuff' updates like Lloyd or Baud Walk-style stuff...works out to be the same amount of content as a print mag...um...hmm...carry the 1, do the math...hmmm...not like I'm busy atm ...hmmm...wonder if iain would let us borrow the .com domain...
It's certainly something that has been requested over the years and with the reviews etc. written by professionals it could probably do reasonably well. With potential affiliate sales through the reviews of the games etc. it could actually make some money as well.

I had a discussion about models for this type of thing a few months ago with a entrepreneur mate of mine. We bounced around the idea of rather than paying a writer per article, they could revenue share any revenue that came in via their review / article. e.g. ads or affiliate stuff etc. Would all have to be tracked etc. but I'm probably running ahead of myself here!

There are of course plenty of review sites out there, some rather popular :) but there could well be room for one with a different approach to things.

Licensing for the Zzap logos etc. would probably need to be figured out if this was going to be a somewhat commercial venture though...

The .com domain would be perfect for it alright.
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

GOD DAMN IT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO SAY IT WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Gazunta wrote:GOD DAMN IT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO SAY IT WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA
:) Opps, am suffering from a cold so I couldn't see the irony in it or maybe I lost my cynicism over my holidays and took your "not like I'm busy atm" literally ;-)

Ah well, the ball has started rolling anyway, will we get Craig to do up a template by Friday? ;-)
Gazunta
Ken's Fishy Friend

Post by Gazunta »

Better make it Thursday coz that way I'll spend Friday writing up a business plan. ;)

Oh damn it, now I don't even know if I'm being ironic any more! :)

Hmm.....hmm. Thinks!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Gazunta wrote: Hmm.....hmm. Thinks!
Well I think between people in here, the needed skills are available. ie designers, organisers, backend etc.

The main things are time/motivation and whether there is room for yet another game review site out there.

Also where do the games come from? I assume big sites get them sent to them free but are small ones meant to buy them? It's been a while since I've been in a games shop but I'm guessing the price range is a bit beyond £2.99 - £10? ;-)

And would it be just like http://wayoftherodent.com/ with Zzap branding? (which wouldn't be too original)
Ant
Sub Editor

Post by Ant »

Can you feel it? Like something ... big ... is about to happen?

Or maybe not.

But you know that if Gaz is involved it'll be one helluva ride. Possibly involving candy.
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Iain wrote:and whether there is room for yet another game review site out there.
i think it's a great idea, a natural progression. just the fact it's Zzap64 will be it's biggest advantage over other retro review sites. definitely room for this place.

a passing suggestion, if it were ever to happen. maybe could make it more user orientated. maybe have an option for registered members to give their own Zzap style reviews. Lemon64 has something similar but it would be more fun here :)
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Iain wrote:And would it be just like http://wayoftherodent.com/ with Zzap branding? (which wouldn't be too original)
That would make it easy enough for me to make the transition! :wink:

We Rodents buy or rent all our games for review by the way... there's no pressure to give a good review to a bad game then. But I think a ZZAP!-style site would be very different from WotR in many ways.

Maybe more like this one: Retro-Active Reviews

Man, it's a long, long time since I did anything with that... :oops:
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.