Zzap64.com

Everything else about Zzap
CraigGrannell
King of Zzap Towers

Post by CraigGrannell »

Gazunta wrote:Does anyone here have Roger Kean's email address?
Email me whatever you want to send to him and Oli and I'll pass it on.s
I guess my secondary concern after we decide on a content management system is how to make the layout look 'zzapy'
By using a few specific features of the branding. Avoid trying to make it look like a Zzap! magazine, unless you want a world of pain. Make it look like a website.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

CraigGrannell wrote: By using a few specific features of the branding. Avoid trying to make it look like a Zzap! magazine, unless you want a world of pain. Make it look like a website.
I can certainly agree with that. The logos and reviewer drawings should be enough to give it a good Zzap feel hopefully.
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Iain wrote:Just a quick reply first.

I agree that the site would have to review games on the new platforms and that would be its main focus. It's not going to get the traffic etc. without that.

It's about the rebirth of Zzap for the new generation so it would make no sense to just have C64 reviews.

I'd see the main focus on PS/Wii/Xbox but a healthy dose of retro reviews as well. Both new releases for old platforms and some Zzapbacks as well.

I dunno about Spectrum or Amstrad reviews though, they really don't fit into the Zzap mold in my opinion since they had Crash and Amtix. C64 and Amiga should be the main retro focus (with some C16 / +4 of course ;-) )
nicely in a nutshell, and i was especially hoping for that last bit :)

as a casual visitor/longterm reader, i think it's a sensible wise idea to incorporate the latest game systems. the Nintendo DS i think might be a good one too.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Sixteen Plus wrote: nicely in a nutshell, and i was especially hoping for that last bit :)
Well I remembered we had a couple of C16 / +4 readers around here so I wanted to keep everybody happy! :) Zzap did their one off feature of C16 reviews too, so it fits in nicely
Sixteen Plus wrote: as a casual visitor/longterm reader, i think it's a sensible wise idea to incorporate the latest game systems. the Nintendo DS i think might be a good one too.
The DS would def be a good idea, I'd forgotten about that in my list of the top of my head above but it has games that capture the 2D / 80's spirit the best!
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

I don't like the quiet.

:)
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Oh, I thought it went to a special subforum (out of public sight) to continue the discussion and set things up, and I wasn't invited or something.

*sigh*

Anyway, let's face it. It's not going to happen.
And to be really honest, I personally don't mind because the last thing I'd want to see is Zzap! turned into something not living up to its potential, something shortlived, something that erodes its former glory and magic sound it has/had for so many people. Not because some of you are not capable enough, but because it costs a LOT of time, enthusiasm, time, brainstorming, time, super special skills to take it to Zzap! level and did I mention time? And all this next to already existing responsibilities like work and family because nobody's goint to be a penny wiser of it. It wouldn't survive, if you really wanted to make a difference, for a year. It's all too much, believe me. And, yes, I do believe in miracles. But not this one.

Ooh I'm afraid I sound terribly negative, but please excuse me, I just can't help believing that it's pretty realistic.

And, err, did I mention I'm more happy with my Wii and DS these days then I EVER was with my C64? Yup, it's different but true I'm afraid.

And, and...oww, so many things to say, so little time...

maybe laterrr guys 8)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

Right, that's one out!

:P

I have to say, gaming-wise, I'm not very happy with my Wii. Too much shovelware, not enough quality - at least as far as I'm concerned. I'm getting more play out of the DS though. But the 360 is where the majority of my time is spent these days.
They Were Our Gods - a website charting my progress on an upcoming book of the same name, about the UK gaming scene in the 1980s.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

PaulEMoz wrote:But the 360 is where the majority of my time is spent these days.
You must have the only 360 in the whole country that enables you to spend a "majority" of time actually on it as opposed to waiting for it come back from repairs... ;)

And I'm afraid I must echo Mr Zzapback's comments. I've nagged in the past, but I only wanted an issue 108 of my favourite mag, not some review website with the ZZAP! name plastered on it... :(
PaulEMoz
Staffer

Post by PaulEMoz »

andy vaisey wrote:
PaulEMoz wrote:But the 360 is where the majority of my time is spent these days.
You must have the only 360 in the whole country that enables you to spend a "majority" of time actually on it as opposed to waiting for it come back from repairs... ;)
Well, the "majority" doesn't add up to that much! Majority of my gaming time, I should say. I've had mine a year with no problems, although obviously I expect them in the not-too-distant future...