CU Amiga scans?

Everything else about Zzap
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Surface mail to the USA...that must be quite a challenge, eh?
5 months sounds not so bad when you come to think of it.

Iain, stop telling everybody I'm joking, right!? ;)
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
thirtywinter
Techno Teaboy

Post by thirtywinter »

Yea.. we are on to you now.. :wink:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

5 months is quite a while. I used to get some stuff from Amazon.com back in the day via surface mail. Used to take 4 to 6 weeks as I recall.
thirtywinter
Techno Teaboy

Post by thirtywinter »

Yea.. that was what I was thinking. Maybe it got stuck somewhere.. or something.. what matters is that at the end I got it. I was quite surprised actually as I had completely forgotten about it.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

thirtywinter wrote:.. what matters is that at the end I got it. I was quite surprised actually as I had completely forgotten about it.
That's interesting actually. Someone could turn this in some sort of commercial service.
"Experience our special surprise yourself with your own presents service.* Our service takes so long you forgot what you ordered when it finally arrives. Be totally surprised! *reminders are optional"

Or something...
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Mr.Zzapback wrote:
thirtywinter wrote:.. what matters is that at the end I got it. I was quite surprised actually as I had completely forgotten about it.
That's interesting actually. Someone could turn this in some sort of commercial service.
"Experience our special surprise yourself with your own presents service.* Our service takes so long you forgot what you ordered when it finally arrives. Be totally surprised! *reminders are optional"
I believe that Maurice Randall already offers this service on CMD products over at cmdrkey.com...

[/sarcasm]
thirtywinter
Techno Teaboy

Post by thirtywinter »

* goes to site *

Hmmmm.. interesting... SuperCPU 64.. wonder what that is..

* clicks more info link *

** description needed yet **

Ah.. and a 3 month waiting period for a mere $199.00!! So tempting!

:wink:
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

thirtywinter wrote:Ah.. and a 3 month waiting period for a mere $199.00!! So tempting!
Yes, a three month wait, beginning 15 years hence, with option to extend another 15 years. If you're lucky. Money non-refundable. Ever. I mean EVER...
thirtywinter
Techno Teaboy

Post by thirtywinter »

So... what is a SuperCPU 64 anyway? Is it an overclocked C64? heh..
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

SuperCPU is basically an overclocked C64 alright! It's a somewhat 6510a compatible CPU running at some crazy speed like 20Mhz. Good for using GEOS and a couple of SuperCPU games, not much else though.

From what I've read over on Lemon64, ordering anything from cmdrkey.com is certainly a B.A.D. idea!
thirtywinter
Techno Teaboy

Post by thirtywinter »

Ah.. I see.. So.. hurm.. eh.. I fail to see the point of it. :oops:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Iain wrote:...an overclocked C64...running at some crazy speed like 20Mhz.
20Mhz!? Wow, IIRC my first mobile phone (type refrigerator) ran at that speed back in 1998. Come to think of it, my parakeet goes from 0Mhz to 20Mhz in three seconds!
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

No point at all if you're into retro on stock C64s / C128 (which I am).

But if you use your C64 for real life purposes (which a few Americans seem to) then it makes sense. I can't really understand it myself. Any sort of productivity stuff would be better suited to an Amiga if you have to do it on an old computer.

Seems my memory was right (for once) it's 20Mhz alright

http://www.cmdweb.de/scpu.htm
thirtywinter
Techno Teaboy

Post by thirtywinter »

Thanks for the link.. Ah.. well.. that is indeed pretty crazy. Especially with that price point.

I'm sure 20-something years ago that thing would have been Uber Awesome, but these days.. well... Not so much. That being said though, it looks like that would be a fun do-it-yourself kit. You know, they ship you the parts and the instructions and you put that badboy together and at the end of the day you have yourself a 20mhz C64. I'm quite sure you wouldn't have to wait 3 months then. :wink:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

The bit of new C64 hardware that really excites me is the 1541 Ultimate.

Now that is great. A cartridge that takes SD cards and perfectly emulates a 1541 so you can have the complete C64 collection on a tiny card and load anything up with near 100% success. It also has a few other interesting bits to it as well. Must order one before it's too late!