News related to the site
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Upload your own or store them on your own space. There's no gallery of them yet but that might change.

The max size for your own one is 8k with a max size of 80x80.
gordon
Director

rewards for posts

Post by gordon »

Iain

I've just had another thought, re the whole avatar thing: how about offering people rewards for the number of posts they make?

Before I go on with this, I'll explain what I'm on about: go to http://smokey.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/~l ... /index.php and click on any of the messages. The people who've posted have icons beneath their names reflecting how many posts they've made -- it kind of spurs you on to write more...

So on the Zzap!Rrap board you could give people icon rewards at 25, 50, 100, and then every 100 after that. I don't think people will make a massive number of posts, so you could maybe set an ultimate target of say 500 or 1,000 posts which would receive an ultimate accolade (a Gold Medal?).

Just a thought, and you'd have to figure out what icons to use as rewards (I can think of 3 -- a C64 icon for every 100, a Sizzler at 500 and a Gold Medal at 1,000). Also, I don't know enough about PHP to implement it, but could always ask at the Llamasoft Board, if you're interested. It seems like a nice idea, and certainly worked for me there.

g
LeeT
Director

Post by LeeT »

I think the 'rewards' is certainly good in theory - However one concern would be that people would start posting smileys and inane comments jsut to increase post counts....

(Though most of the members here wouldnt probably do that, but I have seen it happen at other forums)
Contributor to Def Tribute to ZZAP!
Compilation64 - http://compilation64.zzap64.co.uk/
Crazy about the C64? - www.lemon64.com
Amiga Anguish? - www.lemonamiga.com
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Yeah, it might encourage posting just for the sake of it, but it's a good idea nevertheless.

Is that what Lemon has with the empty / full beer glasses? Or is just just a user rating thing?

I'll def do something about text levels anyway, in the way Lemon has.

Any thoughts on the levels?

e.g. Zzap Virgin, Zzapper... etc. etc. Can't think of anything more at the moment, it's too early in the day!!
gordon
Director

Post by gordon »

LeeT wrote:I think the 'rewards' is certainly good in theory - However one concern would be that people would start posting smileys and inane comments jsut to increase post counts....(Though most of the members here wouldnt probably do that, but I have seen it happen at other forums)

Yeah, there's the (in)famous "Whoring for Sheep" thread at Llamasoft, where people just post messages to get the next icon beneath their names.

@Iain: I don't know how Lemon's system works, except that the five full glasses seems to be given to Lemon Contributors.

Either one (icons or text) seems like a nice idea, though.

g.
tom simons
Techno Teaboy

Post by tom simons »

hi everybody ! :wink:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Hi!

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hi Tom :wink:
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Gawd Damn it guys!!! The ratings hasn't been implemented yet!!!!! ;-)
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Well the first rank (and only one at the mo!) has been implemented.

Ta to LeeT for his suggestions, the Teaboy one should def be the lowest one! :)

I can assign images to each rank, so anybody got idea of what they should be? The sizzler and Gold medal would be a good idea for the two highest ranks, but what about the others?

Can anybody draw a cup of tea? around the same size as this smiley :)
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Speaking of which, anyone got the pics of me drawn from Zzap!64 #107? I may well use one just for here :)
Another visitor... stay awhile... stay forever!
C69
Techno Teaboy

More smileys!

Post by C69 »

I have created a smiley with a beer drink in hand with a wink! I couldn't load up the image unless its on the internet url, as I don't really have one at the moment. It is slightly bigger than the normal smiley, of course! So if anyone is interested in having a look, then I'll email you one. I don't think we can add one to the emoticons list! The sounds of the violin is mournfully playing..... :(

Beck.
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

pling!

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Well, Iain,
what about the ''Silver Medal", (should be do-able)
we forgot'the TACKY award! (isn't that supposed to be lower than the Teaboy rating!?)
Could anybody be a 'pastblaster'? (someone with less then zero posts? ta!)
Oh, it would also be pretty degrading to give someone a 'screenstar'? :D
Or a C+VG hit (worse than a tacky award probably)

Ideas, ideas....
Once again I emerge from beneath a massive pile of paper which makes my desk groan to bring you the world’s most amazing posts.
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

Captured one from the PDF... doesn't look quite so good shrunk from 120 pixels though :roll:
Lloyd Mangram
King of Ludlow

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

It does look quite cool now, how come? :wink:
Mayhem
Editor

Post by Mayhem »

I wonder why ;)