Arrrghhhhh I've just lost months of retro special work

Commodore Format, Your Commodore, Commodore User etc.
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Arrrghhhhh I've just lost months of retro special work

Post by Sixteen Plus »

I'm gutted. I was about 3/4 of the way through the next C16/+4 retro magazine special release I wanted to keep quiet about until release. But a short time ago I had to reinstall my PC and I thought I made a copy but somehow I didn't, I thought I had.

Fortunately all the game reviews and the news pages are still there completed from my previous backup, but I've lost all the cleaned up technical features which was so near to completion. I reckon around 60 pages gone.

This is going to take a long time to fix as there's just so many I've lost. I was hoping for a Christmas release, but unless I really get my skates on now it'll be Christmas 2011 by the time it's flaming ready. I could kick myself :x

At least I still have all the important original .jpg scans still sorted out so I don't need to hunt through the whole DVD again searching for those, but I've lost half a ton of adverts that still needed polishing. Maybe there's still time, but it's a pain to have to do those all over again, you kinda lose the mood for it although I'm still determined. I've just been so busy with other personal stuff lately that I had to sometimes put it on the back burner.

I also lost all my saved work to C&VG. Fortunately that's complete and I just need to download a copy again, although I can no longer make any amendments (shouldn't need to anyway).

This would have been a sackable offence in Zzap Towers :(
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

ARGHH. Very sorry to hear that. It's very annoying to lose work, especially when it's a large amount.

It'll be hard to do it again but hopefully it'll end up even better than the 1st "draft" was :)
andy vaisey
Director

Post by andy vaisey »

Arse...

Sorry to hear about that... :(
Sixteen Plus
Sub Editor

Post by Sixteen Plus »

Ahhh thanks. I guess I just felt like a rant last night. I think I may have lost around 70 pages in all, and there's 101 just for the general techy articles alone to get through again. Now I've just got back upto 6 lol. Fortunately I'm not under any real deadline.

Did any similar crisis happen during the Zzap years, or am I just the worst editor in the world? :oops:
Iain
Admin

Post by Iain »

Sixteen Plus wrote: Did any similar crisis happen during the Zzap years, or am I just the worst editor in the world? :oops:
Well Gordo probably wrapped the draft copy of issue 42 around his chips and ate the whole thing thus needing todo the whole issue.

While doing my original Zzap history back in 1997 or 1998, I had a PC crash. I had about 3 pages written and the PC completely froze, so I think I wrote down the page or so I could still see on the screen but lost the majority of it. Was hard to write it again and I probably did leave out things.

Thankfully OpenOffice and the like auto save these days so things like that shouldn't happen again, but harddisks do like to crash every now and again though. :(